Chapter Six

"You gotta be kidding me, right?" He leaned against the door frame of my bedroom, arms folded and a disapproving expression on his face. "You're not seriously going through with this?"

I gave him a wry look through the full-length mirror as I shifted my dress for comfort. After I had gotten off the phone with Natasha last night, I had explained the plan we'd concocted to Rik who was positively furious. And in a way, I understood why; I was practically entering the Lions' Den with no means of backup if something went wrong, if the killer was there and decided to choose me as his next victim, and was risking everything I had ever worked for; my career, my case ...

Even Rik stood to lose everything, too, if I got caught.

But, we stood to gain so much more if this plan worked.

"This is our only shot at getting this guy, Rik," I reasoned, turning to him. "I'm not giving this opportunity up."

"But, what if Carey finds you?" Frustration fuelling, he shrugged his body off the frame and strode to me. "Do you think he's gonna be happy that you crashed his party?"

"He won't know. Natasha..."

"Bullshit," he interjected angrily. "He'll know. You know he will. He's not stupid; that mask won't keep you hidden forever. There's gotta be another way we can get info about this..."

"There isn't..."

"I'm not letting you do this, Nicki," he snapped, his voice ringing with finality.

My brows furrowed in confusion. This was a side to Rik I had never experienced before; a caring side. A protective side. I mean, sure; he showed levels of caring, but not so much that he would prevent me from doing something if it put me in danger. Usually, he wouldn't care because he knew he'd do the same thing. Something was getting to him, and it was making him scared.

In truth, this whole case had me on edge from the beginning.

I guess that's why I wanted it over and done with as soon as possible.

"I have to," I insisted, placing my hands on his shoulders in reassurance. "Besides, I'll be fine; I can take care of myself."

He scoffed. "This guy's killed girls that were trained to look after themselves. What makes you so different?"

I stepped back and lifted the hem of my skirt, showing him the leg garter where my standard-issue Glock sat comfortably against my thigh, smirking. "None of those girls had bullets with them."

A smile crept on his face, and he gave a conceding nod. His posture relaxed; relieved that I still had some sense. "Alright, fine -- you got me there."

"Thank you," I straightened, letting the hem of my dress go so that it fell to the floor, covering my weapon once more. "Besides, if I need help, I got my cell. I'll call you."

At that minute, the sound of a horn tooting outside my apartment signalled my ride had arrived. I let out a breath, turning to give myself one last look in the mirror before I left. The fitted silk gown that Natasha had sent me was the colour of emeralds, and went well with my hair colour and my eyes. The material ruffled at the front, accentuating the sweetheart neckline and the black-lace choker around my neck, where a teardrop-shaped emerald hung from the lace. My hair was in soft curls that hung over my shoulders.

"That's my ride," I announced, turning to Rik. "Don't wait up too late."

I began to walk out of the room, grabbing my mask on the way out, when Rik called my name. I looked over my shoulder and saw a strange look in his eyes; a softness I never really saw before. Tonight was looking to be a night for firsts.