Chapter Fifteen

La Guardia Airport was built in the mid 20th Century, so-named by the then-mayor of New York and since then had many celebrities going through the doors to catch their private jets. It was one of the busiest airports in the whole of the city and, therefore, a perfect place for Nate and I to sneak away without Baxter knowing about it. After his announcement in the cabin, Nate had left the living room to book our flights and have the private jet moved from its hub in JFK to La Guardia, figuring that if Baxter was indeed watching us, he would've expected us to hit JFK as that was where the plane was and therefore would've been more convenient for us to make a run for it.

By doing this, we were making every move on our terms and not waiting for Baxter to make a move on us.

"So," Luca began in the backseat of Nate's car, sitting next to Michaela. Telling those two to stay put was like telling a donkey not to eat the carrot that was dangling in front of it.  In the end, we agreed for them to accompany us to the airport, but no further as Luca was still not well enough to fly.  Or fight, if it came to it.  "What's the plan?"

"Plan?" I looked at Nate. "Do we even have a plan?"

"We get to New Orleans," Nate began, nodding slowly. "We speak to Alexandria about what's going on, we ask her to help us and we put a stop to Baxter's madness for good."

Luca made a noise of agreement. "Good plan."

Michaela scoffed. "Yeah, with about a thousand loopholes. What if this doesn't work, Nate? Huh? What if Alexandria isn't even there? What if Baxter catches up with her before you? What if Baxter catches up with you before you get to her?"

"It will work," Nate reassured her firmly. "Alexandria will be there; it's where her powers are strongest.  She knows that. And, if Baxter gets to her? Or us?" He chuckled darkly. "So help him."

"So, that's it?" Michaela looked between the two men incredulously. "You're just... Winging it? Seeing how it goes? That's crazy."

"It keeps Baxter thinking about what we're gonna do next," Nate explained. "We do the unpredictable, it buys us time. Not a lot, but enough to figure out our next move before he catches up."

"He's got a point," I conceded.

Michaela gaped at me. "You're going with this, too?"

I shrugged. I had to admit, it wasn't the most fool-proof of plans. Baxter wasn't an idiot; if he was keeping an eye on the airports, he'd already know what was going on. Maybe he was even doing the same thing right now. And, if he had Alexandria, we'd all be dead. But, we had to try. It was our last hope.

Our only one.

"I don't see any other option," I said finally, glancing at Nate. "I mean... The sooner we get Baxter, the sooner this is all over."

"The sooner Nicki can get on with her life," Nate finished, staring ahead.

A sense of foreboding filled me, and I turned towards the window as silence filled the car, watching as the scenery in front of me changed from green trees and forestry to concrete buildings and yellow cabs as we entered the city. My life. What would my life be like without all this? Without vampires? Without werewolves? Without magic? Without Nate, or Michaela or Luca? They seemed to have become part of my life now, in such a short space of time. What would happen after all this ended? I would be back to solving normal murders, with normal serial killers and psychopaths that can get locked away for three lifetimes and not see the light of day again. I would be sitting behind my desk, filling out paperwork and having Rik bring me coffee again before going with the next case.

It would be normal.

I let out a soft sigh.  

It would be goddamn boring.

We reached La Guardia airport, and as usual it was heaving with jet-setters.  We managed to find a spot at the drop-off point situated directly opposite the departure gate entrance.  Nate and I got out of the car to allow Luca and Michaela to take our places. Whilst Nate and Luca took the bags from the trunk, Michaela wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug. Despite being small and petite, her hugs were almost bear-like and knocked the wind clean out of me.

"I wish you didn't have to leave," Michaela pouted as she held me away by the shoulders, allowing air to be re-acquainted with my lungs again. "I feel like I've known you forever. Don't be a stranger, okay?"

I smiled and nodded. "Okay."

Luca came up behind her, and she moved aside to allow him to hand me my bag, before he too wrapped his arms around me, giving me a quick hug. His embrace was softer, lenient and human-friendly. It felt better than Michaela's bear hug, but I still felt overwhelmed. These guys had only known me for a few days because of Nate, yet they were treating me like I was part of their family. I'd had more affection from all three of them than I had ever gotten from my own family as a kid.

I didn't want to leave them, I realized.

"Mik was right," he whispered. "You're nothing like Ana."

I grinned, leaning away. "Best news I've heard all day."

He chuckled. "She means what she said, y'know. Don't be a stranger, alright? And if you need anything, lemme know. I'll hook ya up. And, if Nate's an asshole, just tell us. I'll kick his ass for ya."

I laughed. "Thanks, Luca. It was nice meeting you. Both of you," I added, flashing a grin in Michaela, who looked like she was reprimanding Nate about something I couldn't quite catch. Nate caught my look, and smirked, the smile not quite reaching his eyes. He moved to stand next to me, and Michaela took her place next to Luca, wrapping her arm around his torso whilst his arm snaked around her shoulders.

"We better get going," Nate advised. "Have a safe trip home, guys, okay?"

"Love ya!" Michaela shouted as she climbed into the car, blowing us air kisses. We watched as Luca drove the car away, and Nate's hand took my own, winding his fingers through mine.

"Ready?"

I nodded. "Ready."

The private jet was absolutely stunning; a sleek, black machine that was stationed on the asphalt, with its steps coated with cream leather and a beautiful, golden-haired air hostess dressed in a sleek black and white uniform to match the aircraft standing at the bottom to greet us.

"Good evening, Laura," Nate greeted, letting go of my hand to shake hers. "Long time, no see. How's things?"

"Very good, Mr. Carey, sir," the girl beamed. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Poor kid.  She very clearly had a crush on her boss.  Glancing in his direction, I could understand why.  He was the human equivalent of Adonis; of course any girl worth her salt was going to swoon at his feet.  Hell, I was surprised I managed to stay upright for this long.  "Everything is just how you left it, sir."

"Excellent."

We ascended the steps, where the chief pilot and another air-hostess -- brunette this time -- greeted us again with the same fervour.  Inside was simply extraordinary -- the décor was black, grey and white; white shag-pile carpeting on the floor, and black, grey and white paint on the walls and ceiling.  At the front, there were two grey-leather sofas on either side, with a bucket filled with ice and a chilled bottle of champagne on the right-hand-side cabinet. At the back, there was a dining area where two booths were situated opposite each other, the sleek black tables made from sleek, black marble. Behind that, there was a mirrored panel that gave the illusion that the space was bigger than what it was.

I stood there, mesmerized, as Nate spoke with the pilot. This was beyond anything that I could ever have imagined.

"Well?" Nate slithered an arm around my waist, his breath tickling my ear. "What do you think?"

I turned to him, grinning from ear to ear. "This is amazing."

For once, it was just me and him.

No Baxter.

No Michaela.

No Luca.

Nothing.

Just me, him, and a plane.