#14« 'Mahogany Eyes (Mavi)'

My entry for Writers-Haven's fanfic (shipping) contest.

- - - - - - -

A heavy gust of wind blows towards me, making me stagger back. I laugh at the wind, knowing it's not going to make any difference.

No, this isn't going to stop me. Not today. Today's the day that will be marked for my entire life as possibly one of my happiest moments.

I smile bitterly as I remember how I'd felt like that just an hour ago but how far it is from that now.

After a lot of deliberation, I decided today would be the day. The day I would finally ask out the guy of my dreams.

I had been waiting for so long but had never found the guts to just tell him. I decided yesterday that I would just go for it today, seeing that the earlier I let him know, the likelier he is to say yes.

Today we were all meeting at this place for a get-together and lunch after that, along with party games and all that bass. We've been in the same musical group for five years and the flame's only grown exponentially since then...

I was, as usual, one of the first to arrive, only Kevin beating me to the post.

Kirstie showed up next, about five minutes after me. She spoke so lively with Esther, my sister and our tour manager, that a smile spread across my face as I watched how full of life she's.

A strange pang of grief resonated across me when Esther spoke of Jeremy, Kirstie's fiance. He's a nice enough guy and they're so right for each other but the green-eyed monster threatened to rear its ugly head. Hastily shoving it away, I settled with marvelling at how happy and contented she seemed. That's what she ought to have...

The clacking of boots reached me just a fraction of a second before him. Then in he walked, his merry laugh making my heart soar.

Sniggering away at something, Scott and Mitch were seemingly recording a video or something and Scott had his phone out and turned obliquely to record both of them properly.

Laughing at Scott's jokes, and adding his own, Mitch laughed nonstop. The kind of laugh where you laugh from not only your lips but also your eyes. Those mahogany brown eyes seemed to sparkle with joy and life. A perfect Kodak moment. And he had to go and ruin it.

Lifting his hand, he showcased a flashy ring he donned that paled in comparison with him. That lucky ring!! Wait, he did not just say that Scott and he were engaged, did he?? He did. And he seemed so happy at the very idea. 'So Scömìche is real then' was the thought that bounced off my brain walls and reverberated time and again.

I began to tremble, my palms balling up into fists. The stuff that forms the very core of nightmares materialized in front of me and danced just in front of me.

Before I realized it, my feet took me out of the room and onto the terrace. Once there, I walked until the very edge and plopped down, my feet dangling over the low railing that's the only thing keeping me from tumbling over. My fingers worked their way through the rods, desperately trying to gain hold of something or the other.

And that's how I wound up here, the wind blowing in my face and the whooshing sound the only things I can make sense of. Giving up on the railing, I pull free my hands and lie down on my back, my upper torso on the terrace floor and my legs dangling off.

I feel so numb but it's not the kind of numb that's just absence of feelings but the kind that comes when what little you did have earlier is all snatched away. There's nothing at all that I can think of right now but that word. Engaged.