«11»

It was a Friday afternoon. I sat on the porch waiting for Darry to come out to bring all of us to school for my concert. It felt weird, none of the guys has even seen me play an instrument until today. Every time I had a concert, they never came. They usually just let me do my own thing. I looked behind me as I hear the door slam open. "Alright everybody get in the car, we don't want be late." Darry called out, trying to get to the concert on time. I stood up and walked to the car.

"I call shotgun!" I yelled, making sure the boys heard me. I opened the door and sat down.

"Dammit!" Two-Bit cursed as he opened the car door and sat down in the back. I smirked but didn't say anything. I'm not going to lie, I was kind of nervous. I felt my palms starting to sweat and my knee shaking up and down. Once everyone was in the car we headed for school.

"I can't wait to see you play Ry! Actually come to think of it, we've never seen you play, huh." Sodapop said, grinning from ear to ear. The others nodded in agreement with Soda.

"I've never seen you play and I'm your brother!" Dally exclaimed, scoffing slightly. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"You should've behaved a little more then and stayed outta the cooler," I retorted, receiving a glare from Dallas.

"So what instrument do you play Ry?" Ponyboy asked with a curious look.

"Well in jazz band I play the guitar and tonight, I actually play a solo in one of the songs. In the main band I play the saxophone, I used to play trombone but I decided to change." I explained as I see the school come into view.

"Why aren't you that talented huh Dally," Steve laughed causing my brother to smack him in the head.

"Cut it out you two," Darry said as he looked in the rear view mirror. "Well, I can't wait to see you play Ry." Darry said, giving me a warm smile as he nudged my arm.

"Thanks Darry," I replied back with a grin on my face. "Well, I am gonna go and get ready. You guys get some good seats, see ya." I said, stepping out of the car once Darry parked.

"Good luck!" Pony said, giving me a thumbs up. I smiled back and headed towards the band room.

———

I grabbed my saxophone out of the case and started getting ready. I fumbled with the mouth piece as I sighed frustratingly, kicking my case. I hear a deep chuckle behind me, making me turn around. It was Randy and Bob.

"Having fun there?" Randy laughed.

I rolled my eyes, "please don't get me started. I'm just a little nervous." I said as I went back to fixing my mouthpiece.

"Why? You're always ready and hyped up for concerts." Bob said as he raised an eyebrow.

"It's just, the gang is here. They've never seen me play before and this is gonna be the first time they'll be going to," I explained with a small sigh. I see the pair tense up when I said the word 'gang' but didn't say anything.

"Hey, I bet you're going to be fine. Just remember to kick ass like you always do," Bob said with a smile, grabbing his trumpet from his case.

"Yeah, don't worry about it. I'll be in the audience cheering for you and Bobby here." Randy laughed, nudging his best friend.

"Yeah yeah, we'll see you out there Ry." Bob smiled.

"Right, see you guys." I said as they walked away. I took a deep breathe, heading to the stage where symphonic band, which is the band I'm in, plays first.

———

"Parents, friends, family, I would like to welcome you all for Tulsa High School's 45th spring concert!" Mr. Peterson happily said as he spoke through the microphone. The audience cheered excitedly

I sat on the stage, my eyes scanning the audience for the gang. I cracked a grin when I spotted Two-Bit waiving his arms furiously. I flashed the gang a quick smile before putting my saxophone into playing position.

Three songs later...

Mr. Peterson waved his hands as we played the last note of the song. The audience clapped and whistled happily. My eyes quickly went over by the gang and it looked like Ponyboy and Two-Bit were chanting my name. I gave them a goofy look as Mr. Peterson started talking. "That was symphonic band everybody! The most advance music class in the school! Our last band that will be playing is Jazz band and I hope some of you will stick around to watch and enjoy the show!"

I grabbed my saxophone case, disassembling certain parts of the instrument, and neatly packing it up. I took my guitar, sitting down on the stage again. I arranged the music on my stand neatly, making sure they were in order.

"Told you, you were gonna do great." Bob said behind me, grinning as he fixed his music sheets.

"I still have a solo," I pointed out.

"Which you're gonna kick ass," Bob retorted.

I chuckled and went back to fixing the amp's knobs. "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Tulsa High's very own jazz band!" Mr. Peterson announced. "Okay guys, ready, 1, 2, 3, go." He whispered, starting us off.

My fingers started pressing on the strings as my right hand gripped on the guitar pick tightly, making sure it won't fall to the floor. My heart started racing as the song continued. 15 more measures until my solo. Due to my nervousness, I'm surprised that I wasn't messing up. I couldn't even look up to see the audience. My eyes were glued to the paper that was covered with notes.

"Okay Riley, go." Mr. Peterson pointed straight at me. I stood up as I played my solo out of the top of my head. My fingers pressing on the higher notes, moving fast to the beat of the rhythm section.

———

"Not bad kiddo," Dallas smiled, wrapping me in a tight hug. I smiled in the hug, knowing that it was probably the best compliment my brother could ever give me. This was how he showed his love and I couldn't really ask for a better brother.

"You were incredible up there," Pony grinned and hugged me. I returned the gesture but we both quickly separated to avoid suspicion.

"Holy shit, you should be a rockstar when you grow up Ry!" Two-Bit exclaimed, giving me a high-five.

"Let's go home, I just wanna eat." I chuckled as Sodapop gave a me a piggy back ride. The boys cheered and gave me praises as we headed back home.

««« A/N »»»

I know this chapter was a little boring but I promise in the next few chapters, there will be definitely be more action and twists :)