eight

POV: Riley

7:03 PM / June 7

Kate busts in my room as I'm practically hiding under the covers.

"Um hello? Why did you ignore me all last night? Josh and I got into a huge fight, and you were no where to be found!"

Typical Kate. I was constantly putting my life on hold in order to deal with her and her boyfriend's issues. I was their unprofessional and unpaid therapist.

"I'm sorry. What's wrong?" I clear the junk off my bed as I make a place for her to sit down.

"I don't know. It's bad, Riley. I think we are broken up for sure this time." Kate was known for her outgoing and bubbly personality, and judging by her attitude now, I could tell this was serious.

"What were you arguing about last night?" Hopefully this will occupy my mind off of Luke.

"My friend Derek texted me and Josh freaked out. He overreacted considering this is not the first time he has done it. He swears there is something going on between me and Derek and I promise you, nothing is. Of course we started screaming at one another for at least 30 minutes, ending in me slamming the door and storming out of his apartment." She then started to push her hair out of her face. It was clear she was getting worked up.

All throughout freshman year of college, Kate would brag to my friends and I that she was dating a mature boy for her age. Josh was 24, already graduated, and living in his own apartment. Kate somehow thought that meant she acted at least three years older than all of us.

"I texted you asking if you could come over, but never got a response."

I felt bad, I guess I just missed Kate's text. Me ignoring them last night was honestly unintentional. I was just too invested in me and Luke's conversation.

When I least expect it, my phone vibrates. Lo and behold, I see the message on the screen that reads,

Tinder: Luke has sent you a new message!

As I glance down, I can't help but let out the tiniest smile, I could feel my cheeks starting to get red. I regret it instantly due to Kate and I's current conversation.

"I know that look," Kate interjects.

"Riley, who is it?" This is what being friends for 15 years looks like. She immediately know's when something's up.

"Nothing, we're talking about you and Josh."

The last thing I needed was Kate getting on my case. I truly wanted to help her, and if I waited this long for Luke to message me back, I'm sure I could wait a few more minutes.

"We have all night to talk about my problems. It's fine, I could use the distraction, just tell me."

"No really, it's nothing."

"Please please please please pleaseeeee," Kate wasn't giving up, persistent as usual.

"It's nothing that exciting. I matched with a guy on Tinder that I think I'm really starting to like. He's not your typical "man whore," I said while finger quoting in the air.

"Tinder...really?" The sarcasm was distinct in her voice, another reason why I didn't want to confess. I don't feel like being ridiculed for using the app, let alone say that I'm enjoying it.

"Don't give me that. This guy is different, truly." I really believe that he is, there is just something about him.

"Well go on, describe him to me!" Now she seems interested.

"Well, he's from Australia for starters. He's 19, goes to a university to study engineering but secretly has a passion for writing. Plays guitar, and sings a little. Basically everything that attracts me, with emphasis on the accent and musical capability."

As cheesy as it may sound, my heart felt like it was fluttering from just describing him.

I hear my phone vibrate yet again, reading,

Tinder: Luke has sent you a new message!

"Is that him again?" Kate asks curiously.

I find myself smirking, "maybe."

________________________________________________________________

Please don't forget to like, comment, and vote!!! ily <3