Chapter 4

1 month later...

"Maleficent," Diaval said, coming to me as I looked towards the small cottage on the edge of the woods. The girl was being kept there, "Maleficent, truly, you've already cursed the child, is that not enough?" He asked as I held my staff, kneeling down to disguise myself into the bushes, lying my staff beside me. I watched as the fairy in the pink came out with the baby.

"Not at all," I told him quietly, and watched as the fairy set the child down.

"So you are just going to be nosing about, watching, stalking the girl until she's 16?" He asked as he kneeled next to me, "Sire, not to be offensive, but it sounds like you've got something a little stranger than vengeance in the mind of yours," He poked the side of my head and I looked at him slowly. He raised his eyebrows as he looked away, "Alright then, sire," He sighed as he looked to the girl and fairy with me.

"What were they thinking, Diaval?" I asked quietly as the other two fairies came out, working, "Bring the girl here? To the edge of my forest?"

"I think they were asking about the same thing when you decided to try and murder their daughter," He said.

"Oh, bugger off then if you're going to be that way," I said, swatting him away, "See what those rats in the castle are doing, or something, just leave me be," He huffed and shifted, flying off as I stood slowly, taking up the staff once again as I stood behind a thick tree trunk as the fairy in blue looked my way.

I peeked past and saw her going back to work. I ran my hand around the end of my staff and a mist of green light surrounded my hand. I said a spell quietly and held my hand to the cottage, blowing off the mist.

It flew into the house and I looked around the tree as there was a loud noise from the cottage. The fairies went inside and the one in pink screamed slightly. I grinned slightly, knowing they'd be a while as I stepped out of my forest and into the light of theirs.

I stepped by the child and she shifted in her sleep as my shadow was cast over her. I took a small amount of the mist in my hand once again and said another spell quietly, blowing it to her and she squirmed, rubbing her nose. I smirked.

"Aurora," I said her name quietly, and her eyes opened slightly. She looked up to me and smiled.

The more she saw of the world. The more she enjoyed. The more she loved. The more pain would be caused when she lost it all.

I grinned at the thought and left back to my forest, watching the fairies come back out.

"Oh, look, Flora! Fauna!" The one in green said, "Her eyes, they're wide open," The other two stepped over to see and I set my head back and to the side to watch them.

"Well, that's, she can see clear as day, can't she?" The one in pink asked, checking the girl's sight with her hands and face. I leaned on my staff slightly.

"I believe so," The one in blue said, looking around suspiciously. She then looked my direction, "Do you," She started walking my way and I stepped away, going beyond my cloaking spell, looking back as she looked around the empty space.

I could tell she was confused as she stood where I had been standing. She looked around and walked to the edge of the spell and looked around as I bent down to her height, smiling. She couldn't see me, nor hear me. I started chuckling and laughed slightly as she turned away and I straightened myself. My laughing turned back to the chuckling.

"You are enjoying yourself, aren't you?" Diaval asked from behind me. I looked back to him and he was leaning on a tree with his arms crossed.

"I don't see why I shouldn't be," I said, turning to him.

"Maleficent, she is a child, what you're having vengeance for, that was her mother," He got off the tree and started pacing, "What I don't get about your plan, is why the girl? You could have done something to the King, made the Queen ill, but you choose the child. The one that has never done anything to hurt anything or anyone," I watched him as he looked at me, "To you,"

"To do something to the King, or to cause the Queen to get ill would never be as," I breathed in sharply, thinking as I looked to the distance, "Entertaining," I looked back to him and he had raised an eyebrow, "As cursing the girl, because as you said yourself, Diaval," I started stepping towards him, "She didn't do anything, except for give the Queen happiness," I stopped in front of him, "And I will rip that happiness from her, as she did to me,"

"Maleficent," He said as I walked, "Maleficent, please," I put up my hand and in the mist of green I left.

Diaval looked after Maleficent as he left, breathing out. He looked back to the edge of the spell he had cast. He stepped outside of it and turned to his bird form, flying to Aurora's window. He flew in and rested on the edge of her crib, looking down to her.

I apologize for my master's behavior, child, I truly do, but there is nothing I believe anyone will be able to do to change his mind, Diaval apologized to her, feeling some guilt.

If he had just been able to stop Maleficent before he had went across the river when they were younger. Then maybe none of this would have come to pass.

Diaval, He heard Maleficent in his mind, and looked to the window, Come, now,

Diaval took flight out the window and flew above the tree line.

No bother dwelling in the past. If this was how it was going to be, there was nothing to change. No need to argue with Maleficent. He flew to Maleficent and rested on his shoulder as Maleficent looked over his forest, holding his staff.

Come her sixteenth birthday, Diaval spoke up, Do you believe she will have her, 'true love', by then?

Maleficent scoffed, "She's held in a cottage in the middle of the woods, she won't find her 'true love', not if I have anything to do about it,"

Of course, Diaval nodded slightly, and Maleficent held his head back, breathing out.