4 / kaiser roll

fourth
chapter
________
: kaiser roll
a/n:
bear with me please. it's in the next chapter. good things come to those who wait ;)
x

The once full bottle of alcohol now lies empty and abandoned on the sand.

"So I moved here a couple of years back." Kai's tapping away on her phone and adding me on Instagram and snapchat, the harsh light from her screen lighting up her face. "I got accepted into their clique because our parents knew each other through all their business things. I was pretty grateful, I guess, because if not for them, I'd have been a loner."

"What's the point of having friends, though, if you don't like them?" I ask her as her requests pop up on my screen. I giggle at her usernames. "And seriously? Kaiser roll?"

"What! I can't think up any other clever puns."

"Who said Kaiser roll was clever?"

"Shut up!"

"You were saying?"

"Okay. We're all pretty well off, I mean look at us. We're just leeching off our parents and enjoying the luxuries of life, going to high end functions and dinners and parties. The fact that you're here means you're rich too."

I open my mouth and close it.
There's no denying it. I can't pretend that my parents' wealth doesn't exist, because it does, and that's just our lives.

"That makes them think we're better than others. And people just want to be us, you know? They want to be invited to our parties and sit with us at lunch and shit like that. I don't think they actually want friendship, they just want the status and the benefits, but nobody cares. My friends get off on that. The power they have, I mean."

I nod, getting it completely.

Confidence is a huge draw, and arrogance masked as such has the same pull, as long as it's disguised well enough. I guess it doesn't just apply to hot boys, but also to the popular girls around here.

"You know, that's kind of why I didn't confront them. Alona and Zach." Kai shrugs. "If I did, I'd be cutting ties with her. And then I can kiss my social life goodbye."

"But she's the one who's whoring around with your boyfriend."

"Well Alona does what she wants. Nobody touches her. She's never at fault," She rolls her eyes, voice dripping with sarcasm, "and sometimes I just want to strangle her."

"That sucks." I say truthfully. "Well," I toss my hair exaggeratedly, "at least you have me now."

"That I do." She laughs. "Hey, enough about me. So how'd you get moved here?"

"I think my Dad has some business here?" I shrug. "Not really sure about what exactly it is, the only explanation I got was: work." I yawn and stare out into the darkness. I had my entire life mapped out for me back home, and now I have to start from scratch on a fresh new spreadsheet.

"I can't imagine having to move after sixteen years of life somewhere." Kai remarks, putting her unruly hair into another bun. "Okay, actually, I think I can. I moved here when I was twelve. Like the crucial stage in your teens when everyone is bitchy and angsty and wannabe and it's determined whether or not you're cool. So dumb. It sucks, doesn't it?"

"I don't know yet." I say. "I don't know if it sucks. It's just super different right now."

"You'll get used to it." She nods. "Definitely."

x
i'm sorry if this is dry lel.
but you know.
also i apologise for the stupid chapter titles. i'm no good at those ☹
a like&comment would make me happi :>