5 / perfect gentleman my ass

fifth 
chapter
________
: perfect gentleman my ass
a/n:
thanks for reading!

x

The night doesn't last very long. We go back in eventually, after polishing off the alcohol, and Kai leaves with her parents. Mine, however, aren't done networking, so I hang around the back of the hall, a carpeted area, where refreshments line a long table draped in red silk. I fill up a porcelain plate with tiny little macarons and tarts.

"Try the eclairs." Comes a male voice, out of completely nowhere.

I start, dropping the tart I'm picking up. I look on sadly as it bounces off the table and rolls onto the floor only to be smushed into the carpet by a fat, balding dude in a suit.

What a shame.

"I hate eclairs." I sigh, looking up to shoot the boy a look of annoyance. "And you made me drop my tart. It was the last one."

The sides of his mouth quirk up in a semi grin and he tilts his head to one side, staring at me. I stare right back.

With his looks, who wouldn't?

He's tall, lean, but filled out, dressed in a crisp white button down and black tapered dress-pants. His hair is dark and styled effortlessly in an upward sweep. He stands lazily, cradling a champagne flute in one hand, while the other's jammed into a pocket.

He's got an air of boyish insouciance, which, for some reason, I'm wildly attracted to.

Pull yourself together, Cassia.

"It's really not my fault you're a klutz." He shrugs, taking a step closer to me. He plucks a macaron off my plate and pops it into his mouth. His espresso eyes seem to laugh at me.

I stare at him for a second in what I think is a mixture of annoyance and silent wonderment.

"Is this your idea of picking up girls?" I raise an eyebrow, secretly delighting in the way his grin gets wider. "Calling them clumsy and then stealing their food?"

"Usually works." He swallows and fixes me with a grin. "Better I steal your food than something else, though, right?"

"Depends on what something else you're talking about." I shoot back, allowing myself a small grin.

"Would you believe me if I said your heart?" He smiles, and I quickly decide that his smile is the one of the most adorable things I've ever seen, coming up a close second to baby animals, maybe.

"No." I scoff, taking a step towards him so that he's inches away from me. I catch a whiff of Bleu de Chanel and it's all I can do not to sniff the air like a bitch. "You're obviously not the romance kind."

"Damn." He mumbles, raising his hands in surrender for a brief moment, before putting his lips to his glass, tilting his head back, and taking a sip of champagne. His jaw could cut diamond. "Am I that predictable?"

"Let's just say I know one when I see one." I reach out to fiddle with his collar and something in the air sizzles.

"A hot guy?"

A scoff is my only response and his free hand comes to rest on my hip.

I point a brownie at him. "I meant, I know an f-boy when I see one."

"F-boy?" His eyes twinkle in amusement and I look up at him darkly.

"I'm making an effort not to swear."