Chapter 51: Burn

Anorath yanked the bloody dagger out of his calve and threw it aside. He watched as Estelwen ran, every second of her actions contradicting what he thought to be true. She did not do what the Dark Lord had predicted. Even though she had lost her elemental power and her full physical strength, she did not crumble before her fate. She embraced it. As the arrow speared her small body, Anorath stiffened. What strength did she have that he did not? What was this power that the Dark Lord had not foreseen? Estelwen was cursed, wounded, and terribly unaware of all that was at play. Yet even so, she made a choice that no one could have predicted – not even Sauron. Anorath mentally addressed the Dark Lord, "Your power fades."

The Eye flickered on Anorath before turning back to the battle.

Anorath jerked to the side. A sharp pain shot up his neck where the Eye had touched.

I have given you too much! Mortal being that you are, you have forgotten who wields the power that all of Middle Earth trembles before. You will soon see how you are but dust!

Anorath did not wince, even though Sauron's voice was drilling a hole in his mind. He crouched to the ground and placed his hand on the rock. Hundreds of feet blow, liquid fire flowed towards the mouth of Mount Doom. He closed his eyes.

The Eye was still fixated on the battle and the man that continued to lead. Kill Isildur's heir! Kill him now, else you shall- His raging voice melted into an unearthly shriek.

All who held a sword in hand paused – whether in disbelief or horror – to watch the Dark Tower breaking apart. A shrill shriek pinched the air for miles around. The Ring had been destroyed.

Anorath did not open his eyes and stand until he had the lava pouring out of Mount Doom's entrance. Breathing heavily, he glowered at the tumbling tower and the shrinking Eye. "Yet you failed to see," he gasped, "that there were other powers at work."

The Eye shrunk and exploded. The ground quaked and fissures formed. Anorath was knocked to his feet. He grasped at his chest plate, feeling a rush of power that he had never experienced before, something that Sauron had released upon his death. Anorath trembled. He felt something. Around him were whispers and chants like curls of smoke in the air. Anorath slowly stood up and looked over the battlefield to see how the explosion had affected those who lived. It was almost as if the men and elves had not felt anything. But the orcs were running in terror as the ground opened up and swallowed them. Anorath knew none of the hideous creatures would make it out of the battlefield alive. He picked up his sword and started out of Mordor. A dark, supernatural magic was calling to him. He would have to travel far, but he did not care. He would follow.

Within the next 24 hours, leave me your thoughts in the comments below either about:

1. Estelwen's death, or

2. Anorath living

if you'd like me to post the next chapter today!

May the odds be ever in your favor,

Reese