Chapter 54: The Greatest Element

The footsteps did not stop until they reached him. Legolas did not turn around. "If you are a messenger, then I beg you to be quick, for I wish to be left alone."

"Then I have but one message to give."

That voice. His mind ached. It is not her. It must be a lie! But his heart thumped so hard that he could hear it. He turned his head.

Estelwen stood a few paces away, dressed in the simple garb of an elleth from Mirkwood. Legolas rose to his feet. He reached out, tempted to step forward and touch her face, but he held back. "Are my eyes not cheated by some spell?"

Estelwen's eyes watered. "Nay. Your father released her, Legolas. Your mother now rests with the stars in the heavens. She gave me the last of her life-source." She stepped toward him. "And as for, as for what I must say-"

But Legolas had already reached her. He cradled her precious face in his hands before his lips met hers with a fierce tenderness that made Estelwen's knees feel weak and her heart yearn to give itself entirely to him. This moment, she knew, would always be engrained in her soul. Legolas broke away, only to touch his forehead to hers, whispering her name over and over.

As the sun rose, they stood there, not knowing the meaning of time, only that it was now.

Legolas brushed his fingers against where her arrow wound had been. There were no broken ribs, no wound hole, and no torn muscle. "My mother healed you." He was still in disbelief.

"She has, and I swear to the Valar that her sacrifice will never be forgotten."

He pressed a kiss against her fingers. "My mother yearned to be set free, Estelwen. That much I know. And she could not have chosen anyone worthier to give her life to."

Estelwen took a deep breath. "I will no longer keep anything from you. The Witch King's curse is still upon me, and the waters do not respond to my call."

"Estelwen." He gently kissed her forehead. "Your element was never your strongest weapon. Engrained in your soul is a passion for life which has led you to becoming the protector you are. And what protects the frailest of lives more faithfully than hope?"

She closed her eyes, his acceptance and comfort washing over her like the waves on the sand. "Gerich meleth nin (You have my love)."

Legolas caressed Estelwen's cheek, causing her to relax her jaw. "Mellamin, I will understand if there is any doubt or hesitation, and I will continue to wait for as long as it will take you. Yet I must ask now, for my heart calls out in a cry that I cannot ignore: will you be my wife?"

Time froze in Estelwen's eyes. All this time, he had not only pursued her, but had waited for her. Even while she had clung to her misinterpretation of the prophecy, allowing her desire for revenge to drive them apart, Legolas had been there for her. And he had continued to be there until she had fulfilled the prophecy: for where fire dried out the hearts of the living with despair, water brought hope. As Legolas stood before her, Estelwen knew she had found something more powerful than any magic, fire, or water.

Eyes tearing, she smiled. "With all my heart, yes."