Chapter 3: Of Man and Sword

Evangeline grasped the leather-bound book on the shelf. Pulling it up to her face, she blew across it, sending swirls of dust that had settled on the cover. She glanced at the golden lettering. The First Age – The Overthrow of Morgoth.
        It was her third week in Rivendell. On one side of the sheltered, elven town were the Moorlands and the foothills of the Misty Mountains. On another was a large river. Bruinen, Evangeline recalled. The dozens of crystal falls, the white stone, the mountains, the river – it all sparked something in her that she had not felt before. She wanted to learn of the world. She wanted to take it all in, to not be overwhelmed by the mystery and beauty of it all. At Elrond's suggestion, she had begun to learn how to read. Arwen had taught her and marveled at how quickly Evangeline learned. In a mere week, she had memorized enough letters and words to read on her own. Occasionally, she would approach Arwen for a question on phrasing or Elrond for more information and explaining on different events in history records. Other than that, the earthborn began to fill her mind with the life and history of the world around her.
        The last four books have only breached the history of the past centuries. Evangeline opened the book and skimmed over the first page. She frowned. Some of the words were faded. She flipped to the middle. Tis only faded in the beginning. I ought to ask. Someone surely had read this before, and can tell me what it says.
         Evangeline glanced behind her and climbed down the ladder. After fourteen steps, her feet touched the smooth, stone floor. She recalled seeing Elrond pass by the open door only a few minutes ago. Perhaps he is still around. She searched outside on the walkways near the gardens. She found him in deep conversation with a young man. She stopped in her tracks and observed him. He was the first man she had seen. Dark, wavy hair framed his face. He was dressed in black and brown traveling clothes, but they were neither dirty nor worn.
        In Elrond's hands was a royal blue cloth that was so dark it was almost black. Rested on top of the cloth were shards of metal and an ornate sword handle with the stump of the blade. Elrond held it out to the man. "They have no use here. Take it."
        The man did not reach out to touch it. He stared at the sword and its broken shards. "Nay. The honor of a line of men was broken, and so the blade."
        "That line has not yet died."
        The man turned away from Elrond and the sword.
        Elrond frowned. "If you refuse to accept your destiny, you will fall prey to darkness, even though it will not be the same that corrupted your line." Slowly, he set the cloth down on a small, high table to his right. Seeing that the man did not make any movement toward it, Elrond started away. After turning the corner of the open hall, he passed right by Evangeline without looking at her.
        Arwen happened to be searching for Evangeline at the same time. When her father passed by, she saw his face. He is angry. Frustrated at the least. After watching him leave, she turned to Evangeline, who shook her head. With an air of purpose, Arwen turned the corner and spotted a man staring at the ground deep in thought. He is the one. She approached him, not caring to go through the custom greetings. "What have you done to anger him so?"
        The man lifted his head. "I..." He lost his breath. He had never seen so beautiful an elleth as who was before him.
        In every awe-struck moment, some part of a person is laid open and bare. In the moment the man looked at her, Arwen could tell two things: he was honest and had never allowed an evil intention to fester within his heart. Her expression softened. There is something different about this man. Something quiet...but noble.
        The man found his voice, but decided on his words carefully. "I refused...to take a sword."
        Curiosity filled her voice, along with a hint of suspicion. "Which sword?" Arwen walked forward to find out herself, but the man held up his hands, preventing her from pushing past him. Arwen's eyes widened.
        Evangeline was ready to dash to Arwen's side until she noticed that although Arwen looked surprised, she was not alarmed.
        "It is one best left in the grace and honor of worthier hands." The man lowered his voice, almost as if he were speaking a blessing. "The Shards of Narsil be under your care." Before she could respond, he bowed and left. In a mere second, he was out of sight.
        Evangeline came out from spying around the corner. "Arwen?"
        Arwen turned around as if in a daze. "Never have I thought to encounter such a man."
        I believe it. Granted, she only knew Arwen for a few weeks, but Evangeline had never seen the elleth so mystified. What kind of man was capable of surprising her and capturing her attention like so? "What is his name?"