Chapter 11

Cynthia wasn't alone for long. She made her way toward the line of suitors cringing the whole way as they stared her down greedily. Cynthia took a deep breath, whispered "for the commonwealth," and was about to ask Advisor Reyna's son to dance.
    A commotion coming from the main doors to the ballroom saved her. People gasped and waved and parted as a tall beautiful woman strutted through the crowd. Her hair was dark and sleek and her skin was a warm caramel color. Her facial features were sharp and defined. Not a mark marred her skin. A tall, strong man stood at her arm. His bright red curly hair was a violent contrast to the woman's. While all the guests stood in awe Cynthia grinned.
    The name Solstice Clay spread around the room on the guests lips. She was a famous supermodel featured on every netscreen and portscreen. Many netfeeds had claimed her to be the most beautiful woman on earth, though her blood was one hundred percent Lunar. Many Lunar feeds even went as far as to say she was more beautiful than her mother Winter, but that was always a heated debate.
    Solstice was also Cynthia's best friend. When Solstice spotted the princess her face broke out into the most dazzling smile. She dropped her companion's arm and ran to Cynthia. The two giggled and hugged.
    "Happy Birthday Thia!" Cried Solstice as she hugged the princess.
    "It's so good to see you Solstice! I didn't think you would be able to make it. I thought you were doing a shoot on Luna today," Cynthia said.
    "I didn't think I'd make either honestly, but I finished the shoot at noon. Of course, my driver was busy thinking I wouldn't be finished until the end of the day, so I was stranded."
    Solstice's companion broke into the conversation. "So I came and saved you. You're welcome Cynthia. Consider it my birthday present," he said with a smile.
    Cynthia knew him too. "Thank you Fitz. It's good to see your too. Is the rest of your family here too?" She asked hopefully.
    He shook his head. "No, you know how they are. Balls aren't really their scene, but they send birthday wishes."
    Cynthia did her best not to look disappointed. Of all of her mother and father's friends from the Lunar War Scarlet Kesley was the one Cynthia most enjoyed talking to. She was incredibly brave and outspoken, and Cynthia thought she was the most amazing woman she had ever met. Maha Kesley was recently married and though Cynthia didn't know her as well as she knew her mother, it was nice to see the other "Rampion daughter" as Leo had named them years ago. Cynthia wasn't quite sure what Luc Kesley was up to these days, but she knew without a doubt that it was something mischievous. And, of course, Ze'ev- or Wolf- was the most gentle person Cynthia had ever met. Despite his harsh, wolf-like features he was soft-hearted and sweet. It was never a disappointment to see his encouraging face.
    "What about you Solstice? Is your family here?" Cynthia continued.
    Solstice nodded and looked around, her eyes searching for her parents. "They're here somewhere. I'm sure I'll see them eventually. Right now we need to talk." Her eyes flitted to Fitz. He got it.
    With a grin he bowed to Cynthia. "I know where I'm not wanted. See you guys at dinner," he said before disappearing in the direction of the drink table.
    Solstice pulled Cynthia onto the dance floor for the next song. The two girls dancing a song or two together at the princess's birthday had become a tradition, and Cynthia was happy to see that even the foreign dignitaries had stopped rolling their eyes at their girlish actions.
    "Okay I'm analyzing the situation," Solstice said, eyes all business. "You've got a line of suitors at the edge of the dance floor looking annoyed and neglected, but given my late arrival you've already definitely danced at least two songs. Am I right so far?"
    Cynthia nodded, her friend insightful as ever.
    Solstice continued, "Aaannnddd... Since this is your eighteenth birthday and you've been seen all over the net feeds with those guys I'm going to guess you're starting to feel the pressure to get married from the council?"
    The princess grimaced. "Right again," she said.
    "So then tell me. Who did you dance those other dances with? Did you finally find a Commonwealth nobleman worth your time?"
    At this Cynthia laughed. "No no Solstice. Leo graduated from the Academy already and he was able to make the party this year. We had some catching up to do."
    Solstice shook her head and grinned. "I knew this would happen someday. You guys have always been so close I knew it was only a matter of time..."
    Cynthia shook her head in mock horror. "Oh no, we're definitely still just friends."
    Solstice didn't look convinced, but she let the conversation drop. The song ended and the two most beautiful women in the room curtsied to each other. They simultaneously glanced at the line of boys and then at each other.
    Cynthia sighed. "I guess I should attend to that like I said I would earlier."
    Solstice smiled. "I definitely don't envy you Thia. I'd better go say hello to Leo, and then find Fitz. You know how he gets if I'm gone for too long," she said with a wink and a wave.
    Fitz and Solstice were the kind of quiet famous couple that the net feeds always speculated but could never confirm publicly. Despite her spotlight filled life Solstice was a very private person, and Cynthia was one of the only people who knew how serious their relationship was. She even knew wedding bells were on the horizon, but how soon they would be ringing Cynthia had no clue. Still, when Solstice made sweet references to hers and Fitz's relationship the princess couldn't help but smile. At least her friends could live out their happily ever afters.
    She, on the other had a line of suitors, and only the hope that she could someday be as happy as they were