Day One: Camp Registration Resumes

Day 1: Monday 13th June, 2016 (Camp and Registration Officially Resumes)

I woke up at 3.00AM, showered and got ready for the day. At 5.00Am, I went out of the hostel to look for where to photocopy some of my documents (I had one photocopy each but was told I needed 5 photocopies by my fellow prospective corp members #rollingmyeyes).

I went and was told photocopying starts at 6.00Am since I didn't want to meet a long queue; I stood in the cold for an hour so as to photocopy before the queue started. After much waiting, I was able to photocopy and then made my way to the hostel.

The scene that met me at the entrance of the hostel was not funny.

Soldiers Chanting: All the Otondos, Get out of the hostels with your bags and move to the gate! Get out of the hostels with your bags and move to the gate!! Get out of the hostels with your bags and move to the gate!!!

I was confused and panicking again. I felt like I was in JSS1 again with the crazy USSI SS3 students shouting commands here and there. I ran into the room I slept in to relies everybody has evacuated so I gathered my bed sheet, my mosquito net into my bag and rolled it out meanwhile a female soldier was shouting (Get out of the hostels with your bags at the count of 5! 1....2....3.....i was out with my bag that contained all my edible and eatable stuff.(the bag was heavy my chest ache). My eyes were misty. I rolled my bag to the gate just to receive another command.

Soldier: Move to the registration centre for and form a queue (Those that served and are serving in Lagos state knows the distance between Lagos State NYSC Gate and Registration centre).

Ah! I didn't even run again. I just rolled down jejely. I didn't make it to the registration centre when prospective corp members were running back to the parade ground. Aha! I knew going to the registration centre won't last Hahahaha (Evil Laugh)

Me: what's going on??, I asked a fellow corp member.

Corp member: We are asked to run back tote parade ground and sit down.

I was relieved because I was half way to the parade ground, I sat down and waited for the next line of options.

Soldiers: If you know you are pregnant, suspect you are pregnant move out. Double up to the registration tent. If you know you arrived yesterday, move to the hostel for room allocation. Come out in 50s.

After much struggling (the normal Nigerians style), clearance, registration for kit and other things was done according to your institutions geopolitical zones (Institutions in South-South, Middle belt etc). Before 12noon, I was through with my registration collected my kit (Khaki size (XXXL that shaping couldn't change #SMH), Jacket (XXL and Different colour from the khaki), Crested vest(Brown colour with stains and holes), Canvas (size 44), Jungle Boots, cap, white shorts and t-shirts and socks (Was Okay). Then the battle of exchanging was not easy.
Oh Yes! I was in platoon 9...lol the platoon that didn't win any competition whatsoever. hmmmmm

In the evening, at 4.00PM, a trumpet was blown and we went out to the parade ground and drills began in earnest. Pre-shun! Attention by number, 1...2 etc. This took place for 2hours.
After the day one stress, I crashed at 9.00PM like no man's business till 3.00AM the next morning.