CHAPTER 1: Conundrum Broached & A Battle of Wits

"—a suicide is what it is. Look, the victim is clearly holding the gun to his heart, and as you all may know, shooting himself. He did it because he wanted to end his life." declared a man in a button-down collared dress shirt beneath a basic, five-buttoned dark, pitch black vest.

      Elucel stifled a laugh, adjusting his cravat to cover up the action. He placed his elbows to rest upon the table as he rested his face atop his crossed fingers. "Only an inexperienced fool would make such a false conclusion," he began, gaining the attention of the other two in the claustrophobic room.

         "If you examined the way the victim was positioned, as well as where his belongings are placed, you would indeed find this case involving foul play." Wynstonne raised a brow at the remark, shifting uncomfortably in his velvet cushioned seat.

         "And why do say there is foul play involved?" questioned a man, who, by the looks of his greyed hair and saggy wrinkly face, was an old inspector in the long-running business of solving crimes. Though his name was unknown, mostly because Elucel didn't bother asking for it, the man was more than exceptional in his work, well, at least that's what the medals clipped on his uniform say.

       "See, the victim's phone was found in his left pocket, including the handkerchief that was discarded on his left side," Elucel gestured towards the image of the crime scene projected onto the wall, "but the gun was held in his right hand. Clearly, the victim was left handed, so why would he use his right hand to kill himself?"

       "He might've been ambidextrous," came Wynstonne's reply. Elucel nodded at the suggestion.

         "Yes, but based on what the victim's relatives tell me, he's indeed a lefty." Wynstonne opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again. He raised his arms in surrender while he heaved a deep sigh. "You got me there, Luc. I must say you've improved a lot since the last time we've had a deduction battle."

      Elucel snorted, looking away as he recalled the last time the two have had a deduction battle. He was only ten summers old then while Wynstonne was twelve.

         "Anyways, what are you're thoughts on the note that was left in the crime scene?" The old man had suddenly butted in.

         "The note that said, 'Winter Hexagon' was quite perplexing. I've searched it up and found out that it was a name given to a constellation." The room went silent as each one fell into a deep trance.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

      The sudden noise made Wynstonne jump as he looked over to what had caused it. His eyes fell upon the watch Elucel wore, the once pitch black screen glowing a faded red.

      Elucel looked down, twisting his arm to get a better look at the watch before tapping something. A small smile suddenly spread on his lips as he looked up at the two.

         "Well, would you look at that, my time here is done. I've gotta go before the teachers file me yet another detention slip." He stood up, grabbed his belongings, and, without so much as a farewell, exited the room.

      He let out a sigh of relief as he briskly trudged down the hallways of the Milirian Yard's headquarters. Elucel smirked at how he easily escaped the walls of that claustrophobic room, as well as the people who practically dwelled in it.