CHAPTER 2: Winter Hexagon & Her Sealed Faith

It's been a few weeks since the last incident and Aurum has been trying to keep herself from wincing whilst recalling the statements she released during their mini deduction battle.

Though the Michael Scott Case had been solved and the culprit captured, she could still feel the adrenaline pumping in her veins. She actually did not believe those gossipmongers at first when they said Elucel was a prodigy, but looking back at the case, it was clearly visible that he was superior.

The bell had rung just a few minutes ago and the hallways bustled with life. Throngs of students blocked the spacious pathway, a challenge to those who wish to slither in between. She muttered profanities again and again as gruff shoulders collided with hers.

Aurum's eyebrows furrowed as she stood in front of the huge oak doors of the library. A familiar yellow and black police cordon draped around the door handles.

Curiosity overcame her as she pushed the door open. The door was only slightly ajar for the police cordon wrapped around the handles prevented it from opening all the way. Aurum squeezed in through the opening, holding her backpack to her chest and flattening it.

She was surprised no one was at the door to kick her out.

Aurum returned her backpack to its rightful place—on her back as she tiptoed in between the bookshelves. Muffled voices starting getting louder as she neared the back of the library.

A nasty smell wafted in the air as Aurum instinctively clutched her nose to stop her gag reflexes. It smelled of rotten flesh. She rounded a corner and almost wanted to run back the other way when she found a corpse on the marble tiled floor.

It was of a woman. She had pale skin, green eyes, and a protruding upper lip. But what caught Aurum's attention were the heaps of cement that were sticking to her skin.

"What the bloody hell are you doing here?" Aurum paled when she heard the voice she haven't heard in weeks. Slowly, she shuffled her feet and turned towards Elucel who was standing in front of an unfinished wall.

"I—I was . ." she stuttered, not being able to form words as images of the woman's corpse flashed through her mind. She pointed to the corpse, staring at Elucel's fierce eyes as her gaze quivered. "W—what happened?" She mentally kicked herself for stuttering.

Although seeing Aurum in such a vulnerable state, he didn't try to worsen what she was already feeling. "Her name's April Sevil a twelfth grade student. She was found buried over there," Elucel paused, taking the time to point at the unfinished wall. Aurum focused on it and found a hole that seemingly fit the body of the victim named April. "her hand slightly sticking out from the semi-dry concrete."

"The suspected culprits are Giela Constantine, the librarian and the only person with the key to enter the library, Sarah Embers, Winter Croix, and Walter Croix." he stated, before turning to Aurum if she had any questions.

"What do you think was the cause of death?"

"She was most probably made to drink some type of drug or poisoned, seeing as there aren't any signs of struggle, blood, nor traces of strangling." he answered, his eyes gleaming with an unknown emotion.

Elucel didn't know what to feel about what was happening. Believe it or not, this was his first time handling a serial killing of this magnitude. Not that there were many victims, but the way they were killed—it was just way too . . unique.