Chapter:7

Lunch time finally arrived, it felt like forever but I needed to know why he did it. I sneak past the teacher sitting at the bottom of the stairs and start heading up to the roof. I got butterflies in my stomach, I was so anxious I was practically shaking. I opened the door and saw him sitting at the picnic table up there facing away from me, I guess he didn't hear me come up because he didn't turn around. I walk up behind him "Hello Austin" he jumped, guess I startled him a bit, "I would say sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, but I'm not in the habit of lying." I sat down next to him and neither of us said a thing for a few minutes.

I decided sense he wasn't going to break the silence I would, "Why Austin? That is all I want to know, why?" he looked at me and made eye contact for a second but looked away quickly "What do you mean? Why what?" he knew exactly what I meant, but he just didn't want to say it. "Don't play dumb Austin, you know what I mean." He looked at me, making eye contact again "I'm sorry Jacob, I'm so so sorry, I know it isn't worth anything and you will never believe me but I am sorry." He seemed so sad when he said that, "Wow you called me Jacob for once, that's a new one." He broke out crying, his tears staining his face, I think I hit a nerve. All of a sudden I found myself hugging him and pulling him into me. Why was I doing this, I hate this man. He pulled away for a second but then he rested his head on my shoulder, I can't believe my eyes, Austin Mcarthy is crying on my shoulder.

It was actually oddly comforting, he stopped crying but we just sat there hugging. I guess I was just as comforting to him as he was to me. What the hell am I doing? This guy almost killed me and I'm letting him hug me and cry on me? What the fuck is wrong with me? I got up fast pulling away from him, he looked up at me in shock "Please don't go Jacob!" he said sniffling. "Then answer my damn question and don't cry on me this time." I said pacing around on the roof, "I had to Jacob, I had to bully someone because of it." He started crying again, I couldn't help but to sit back down and hug him again, but this time I only hugged him for a second. "But why did you have to? Also why me? What did I ever do to you?" he started crying even more, through his tears he said "I couldn't let anyone find out about me and it was nothing personal, I had to pick someone and you happened to be the unlucky one. Again I am so so sorry Jacob, I never meant to hurt you, especially not to make you go unconscious for so long, must have been the concussion." So he didn't want anyone knowing that he is gay so he bullied me for it? That's just fucked up on so many levels. Wait how did he know I got a concussion? Or that I was unconscious for so long? "How the fuck do you know all that about my injuries?" he stopped crying and looked me in the eyes "I wasn't going to tell you this but, my dad was you doctor Jacob. He told me everything because I felt so bad about what I did." I knew that doctors name sounded familiar, Dr. Mcarthy. How the hell didn't I figure that out sooner? Whatever it doesn't matter now.

We sat there in silence for a while, I finally decided he wasn't going to get any more sympathy from me, he doesn't deserve it. I got up and walked away "Don't forget my coffee." I said as I got up and walked away, I didn't forgive him, and I think he realized that because he started crying again

Austin's Point of View

I sat on the roof the rest of the day crying before I went home. He didn't forgive me, but can I really blame him? I nearly killed him and I still didn't tell the full truth about why I bully him, I don't deserve his forgiveness.

When I walked in my parents were waiting for me "We got a phone call from your teacher Mrs. Farris, she said she is worried you might hurt one of your class mates, the same one you put in the hospital. You are so lucky boy that he didn't tell the cops it was you, but why is she concerned you are going to hurt him now?!" She yelled at me, I just looked at her hopping she couldn't tell I had been crying. "AUSTIN MCARTHY! Answer your mother!" my father barked at me. "He's a fag, so it doesn't matter." My parents both got a look of relief on their face "Oh he is a fag, well in that case it's okay, go do your homework." They have always been like that, they think gay people are abominations, mistakes. They have even told me, if they are gay it's okay to kill them. "Wait one damn second! That means I saved a gay kid's life, you should have told me when he was in the hospital, or I would have saved his parents the trouble!" I just went to my room and ignored him.

If my parents knew the truth about me I wouldn't have a home, hell I probably wouldn't be alive. My father would probably kill me in my sleep, and that is what scares me the most about them finding out, not them disowning me, but what my father would do to me. I can't tell Jacob the truth, if I did he could hold that over me too and threaten to tell my parents. I cried myself to sleep that night, I couldn't get the thought about the monster I had become out of my head

Jacob's Point Of View

I couldn't stop thinking about Austin the rest of the day. The feeling from when we were hugging, and the things he said to me. I even felt bad for him, he has just been scared of what people will think about him. Only if he was more like me, I couldn't give two shits about what people think about me. That's why I am very open about being gay, I not only tell people that I'm gay, but I wear rainbow clothing just to rub it in their face for the fun of it.

For some reason I got the idea to make Austin drive me to school sense he has his own car. It's not like I need a ride, I enjoy the morning walk, is it that I maybe wanted to spend more time with him? No that's not it, I'm still mad at him, it is going to be hard to forgive him for what he did. "You are going to give me a ride to school from now on, oh and bring my Starbucks with you every day when you pick me up." But I texted him anyways "Okay, I'll be at your house at 9:00."