Chapter 11

What I really want to tell him is to pick up that baby of his and hold her tight, to set the moon on the edge of her crib and to hang her name up in the stars.
~Jodi Picoult

Trevor

The police come in. One of the officers is calling the fire department while another is holding Tatiana back. But no one is trying to save Ash. Tatiana, from what I can tell, is trying to. I open the doors to my truck where I have several bottles of water. I dump them all on my clothes before I go in. I run into the burning house. I hear Ash's screams on the second floor of the house. The flames haven't reached the staircase yet. I run up the stairs, skipping a couple of them too. She continues to scream from one of the rooms.

Tatiana

"Trevor!" I scream as he runs into the burning house. The deputy continues to hold me back as I continue to fight him. "Let me through!"

"You need to stay back. It's for your safety." The officer says.

"My child and my boyfriend are in there!"

"The fire department will be here any minute now. Just stay calm." I swear these officers are given a script to follow in these types of situations.

"How can I stay calm when the two people I love most could die?!" I cry. He doesn't respond.

The fire department arrives thirty seconds later. Still, Trevor and Ash have not been seen.

Trevor

I find her in the master bedroom. She is crying in the corner of the room. The room is filled with smoke which makes it hard to breath. "Trevor!" Ash cries when she sees me. I run to where she is and pick her up.

"Ashton, you need to do as I say. Okay?"

"Okay." She says sweetly.

"I need you to keep a good grip on my neck and I'm gonna get us out of her. Never let go." I command.

"Okay."

It takes us two to three minutes to get out of the burning house.

Tatiana

I see them come out of the building. Trevor has Ashton in his arms. The deputy lets me go to them. I feel tears slide down my face but they are happy tears. Ash has death grip on Trevor's neck. "Ash you can let go of my neck now." Trevor says to her. I take her out of his arms.

"Mommy!" Ash says. I see her face covered in tears and it is red.

"Oh Ashton." I say giving my baby the biggest hug. "I'm so glad you are safe. Thank you, Trevor." I say. He sits on the ground beside me and coughs from the smoke. Ash coughs a little too.

"Mommy, Daddy saved me. Trevor is my daddy." Ash declares. "I only want him as my daddy. No one else. I love you Mommy. I love you Daddy." Trevor and I can't help but smile.

The paramedics take Ashton away in the ambulance to the hospital. Trevor was offered to be taken but he refused. We drive in his truck to the hospital. "Trevor, thank you." I say on the way there.

"No problem."

"No problem?! You could've died! You risked your life for her. Why did you do that?" I ask.

"I watched her grow up. I was in the hospital the day she was born, I saw her first smile, I watched her take her first steps on her first birthday, I was there when we took her riding on a horse for the first time, I helped set up her bedroom with Ryder, I watched The Little Mermaid with her at least a thousand times. I love her as if she was my own. Tatiana, I couldn't do nothing if I could do something. Her life is worth more than mine and risking mine to save her's was worth everything to me." He replies.

"I love you, Trevor." I say. "I love you so much. You don't know how much I love you."

"I have always loved you and I don't ever want to stop loving you." He says.