FORTY-FIVE

OFFSCREEN

Katy walked up to her hotel room just after she had been dropped off from the show, feeling a little overwhelmed. She knew Tom was inside waiting for her, but she was dreading the moment when she absolutely had to go in before he began to wonder what was taking her so long. But at the same time, she wanted to savor every single moment she had with him until they were separated again because she was sure that she would regret it if she didn't.

Sighing, Kate swiped the keycard through the slot, and unlocked the door, entering the hotel room she was immediately met with Tom, who was lounging on the couch watching some war movie on the tv. He craned his neck to glance back at her, then made room for her to sit with him. "There you are."

With a small smile on her face, Kate fell back into the cushion next to Tom. Kicking her heels off, and burying her face into the material of his shirt before saying with a frown, "I should learn to just shut up. It happens to everyone else and they deal with it just fine, why do I have to make such a big deal out of it?"

Scrunching his brows together and looking down at her, Tom asked, "What are you saying?"

Kate sighed. "I mean, that maybe if I just stopped responding, maybe they'll get bored of me and stop. I'm tired of speaking up creating all this drama, and having it come back to you, because it's not fair and I don't want to drive you away because of it. You don't deserve it, and they don't deserve the satisfaction of getting a rise up out of me. So, I'll just stop and shut my big fat mouth."

Chuckling at her last comment, Tom leaned back to lift Kate's head up to look up at him, squishing her face with his hand, letting out a light laugh at the frown on her face combined with her squished face. "Look, the day you sit on your hands with your mouth shut, is the day we lose the real Katy Cross. But maybe they don't deserve the real you, so if you want to stay quiet, that's fine by me. If you don't, that's okay with me too. But either way, don't let me affect your decision. Don't let anyone. I don't care about what people have to say about me, because there are a lot more people who care about what you have to say."

Taking his hands away from her face, Katy rubbed her cheeks and shook her head. "I just don't want to ruin things for you. You're doing so well with your career right now, and I don't want to mess any of it up. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but what if Matt's reason for ditching me was right? I'm too dramatic, and it'll only come back to bite you in the ass."

"I don't care about any of that either." Tom told her. "All I care about is you. I'm on your side, always. Don't let nobodies who are only looking for a dollar from their crap stories get to you. It's not worth it, because you're worth more."

Staring at him for a few moments, Kate grabbed Tom's hand and held it in hers, before leaning up to kiss him sweetly. Pulling away for a few moments, she asked, "How do you always know what to say?"

He shrugged with a small smile, "I don't know, I guess you just got lucky." He leaned back in to kiss her, and their lips made contact for a few moments, until Kate let out a groan and pulled apart from him.

"This ponytail is way too tight for comfort. Let me change real quick, I'll be right back." Pecking him on the lips, Kate picked her heels up off the ground and scurried to the bedroom.

"Did I tell you how good you look?" Tom called after her as she disappeared into the room.

Stopping to poke her head out of the doorway, Kate grinned and replied back, "No, but it's much appreciated."