2

"Seeking Arrangements?" I ask, laughing at the name of the website infront of me.

"Yes. Listen, it's not weird. I know a ton of people who do this kind of thing. Not all of the guys are old." Steph adds, defending the website.

"I don't know. I mean, I don't think I could even have a...sugar daddy." I say, lowering my voice afraid that someone might hear.

"Just because you have a sugar daddy, doesn't mean it has to be gross. A lot of the guys on here just want company. Like, sometimes they have an event they need to go to, so they just want someone young and pretty to stand next to them. It all just depends on what you are comfortable with."

"I don't know about this, Steph." I reply nervously.

"Just look around for a bit. You never know what you might find. But listen, I have to go now. I got things to do later." She says as she gathers her things up from off of the ground.

"What? Go on more dates from this site?" I laugh.

"Maybe. Maybe not. The world may never know. I'll see you later." She joked.

Whe she walked out, I started scrolling down the first page of this website. I am oddly interested in what the posts said, and scrolled through the pictures of the different people on here. Some of the posts made by men were sad, and they sound lonely. Oh, and desperate. Not everyone was an older man, some of these guys are no older than thirty years old. As I continue to scroll, I stop on a post that caught my attention immediately.

ISO a young female for my son. Must be around the age of 20-23. Go on a few dates with him. Talk to him. Be everything he wants you to be. Be his girlfriend. He is heart broken, and his mother and I want him to be happy again. I don't care if it's fake. Make him think it's real. Fill out application and I will get in contact with you. Pay will vary.

I clicked on the post to view more, and see a photo attachment of who I assumed was his son. He is a good looking guy. A very good looking guy. Well, from what I can tell, at least. The picture is taken at the beach, probably Destin. He has a button up shirt, shorts, and sunglasses on. He is  smiling widely at a woman who I am going to assume is his mother. I don't understand how a guy who looks this good could be on a website like this. I'm positive he gets enough attention outside of the internet.

Despite my objections to this website, I send this man a message.

Hey, I saw your post and was interested in speaking more with you. 405-555-5131. Get back to me when you can. -C

I send the message before I can begin to regret it. I just sent a message to a random man, with my phone number attached in hopes that I will get paid for dating his son. Have I hit rock bottom?

Surprisingly, within moments I hear a small chime coming from my computer. A message from the man came across the screen.

Hello. Please send a picture attachment, both face and full body shot. I will get in contact from there.

The message is straightforward, and makes me more nervous than excited. I don't want to be judged, but I know that's exactly what will happen to second I send these pictures. Despite knowing this, I still find two of the best pictures of me, and send them. I find two of my old senior pictures, one of me standing against a purple wall, and the other is a close up on my face. Although the pictures are a couple of years old, they still look exactly like me. My  face hasn't changed at all, and my brown hair has grown a few inches. Other than that, no one would know when the pictures were taken.

I anxiously waited a reply. A few minutes pass, and I notice the message had been delivered and opened. Instead of a reply, my phone began to vibrate. The unknown number that has my area code proves that it's a local caller. With anxious hands, I answer the phone with resistance. 

"Hello?" I answer nervously.

"Hello. Is this...Candace?" A man asks.

"Yes. Who is this?"

"Great. My name is Daniel Fain. I made a post on Seeking Arrangements and was just getting back to you. I have your profile pulled up right now. Tell me a little bit about yourself." He said formally.

"Uhh, well...I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting this." I laugh nervously. This is pretty much an interview.

"Okay, I understand. I just want to go over some things with some of the girls before picking one. Let me start off by telling you a little bit about what's going on right now. My son, Matthew is twenty three and very successful. But, recently, he broke up with his girlfriend of two years after finding out that she cheated on him. His mother and I are afraid he has low self esteem, and I'm afraid it will interfere with his work life. I want to set him up on some dates and see where that takes him. As far as payment goes, you will be paid every two weeks and it will continue for as long as your relationship is alive. Payments will stop when there is a mutual breakup, or whenever you feel the need to back out." He explained.

Well, this makes sense as to why he is single. Kind of. He is just hurt. I understand that completely. I'm sure he isn't aware that his father has made a post, basically bribing girls to be in a relationship with him.

"How much will the payment be?" I ask quietly.

"I was thinking about $700 every two weeks. But, that is only if I see dates happening, and know you aren't just going on a few dates and never talking to him. It need to be a relationship. Talk to him, date him, convince him this is all real. After time, if the two of you break up, then that's fine. I need him to get back to his old self again. Just convince him that this is real. If you are interested, that is."

I nearly fall out of my seat at the price. $700 every two weeks is a lot of money. Just to go out on some dates and text the guy every couple of hours? That's easy money. Way too easy.

"I'm interested." I say quickly. "Uhh, about me." I mutter. I have no idea what I should and should not tell him.

"Don't worry. All of this stays between us." He assures me.

"Okay, well...I'm currently in school as a business major. I am twenty years old, and I work at a diner in town. I live at home with my father and my little sister, Phoebe. My sister is my entire world. She is only four, and I'm mainly responsible for her. I want to stay in school if possible, but it's really hard right now due to my father being unemployed. I'm looking for extra money so I can care for Phoebe and pay for all of the books during this semester." I say, trying to sound as confident as I possibly can be.

"Is your mother around?" Daniel asks. My heart aches at the mention of my mother.

"She passed away two years ago. She had cancer." I said softly.

"I'm very sorry to hear that, Candace. As for everything else, I just want to say that I fully support your choice to stay in school. I know that with kids, that can be difficult. Very difficult. I admire you for taking on both responsibilities. If everything works out going forward, I would like to help you with your school supplies. Those damn text books cost an arm and a leg. So, we will settle on an agreement as far as the payment goes. As for the arrangement with my son, I would like you two to meet." He tells me. Tears begin to form and I don't even try to contain them.

"Thank you so much." I cry softly.

"I will be hosting a cookout soon, and would like for you to attend. This way, I can introduce the two of you. Then, we can take it from there. I'll send you an email with more information. How does that sound?" He asks.

"That sounds great. Thank you so much!" I say once more. I feel like I just got offered a position I had been hoping on for so long. This is something I never imagined would happen. All the stress of work and bills won't be a problem anymore. I can keep my job, and use that towards my monthly expenses, and use the payment from Daniel to fall back on if needed. This is perfect.

I guess Steph was right. This website is going to help me after all.