10

"Phoebe! Put your shoes on, Matty is outside waiting for us." I spoke to the four year old playing on the floor. She turns five in about a week, and she is so excited.

"Where are we going?" She groaned, not wanting to get up yet.

"Somewhere fun. Now come on!" I laughed at her pouts, knowing she would be happy when we get there.

She finally got up and slipped on her shoes before following me out the door. Matty was waiting for us in the driveway, and I swear his smile was the brightest I have ever seen the second he laid eyes on Phoebe. He quickly stepped out of the car to greet us and open our door.

"Hey!" Matty says in an excited tone, directing his attention more towards Phoebe.

"Phoebe, this is Matty. Can you say hello to him?" I asked her, knowing how shy she can be sometimes. Surprisingly, she walked in front of him and held her hand out to shake it.

"I'm Phoebe. Named after Phoebe in Catcher in the Rye." She stated proudly. I smiled at her confidence and Matty let out a little chuckle.

"It's nice to meet you. I love that book, too. Are you excited to go to the zoo today?" He asked her with a smile.

"We're going to the zoo?!" She asked excitedly.

"Yes we are! Get in! We can stop and get something to eat if the two of you would like?" He suggests, looking at me with a questioning look.

"Can we eat at the zoo?" Phoebe asks.

"I think that sounds like an amazing idea." Matty smiled, opening the door to the car.

He stopped me before I could get into the car and pulled me into his arms.

"I missed you." He smiled, kissing my forehead.

"It's only been like eight hours." I laughed.

"Eight hours too long. You should have just stayed." He replied. I rolled my eyes and laughed at his exaggeration. God, his smile could keep me distracted all day.

"Does she need a car seat or something? I don't know what age kids stop needing stuff like that." He asked me, looking at Phoebe with a worried expression.

"I think she will be fine for today. We will just be careful." I replied.

"Are you positive? I just don't want anything-" He started before I cut him off with a kiss.

"Shhh, it's fine." I laughed.

"Don't make out with me in front of your little sister." He winked before getting into the car.

The drive to the zoo went better than I thought it would. Phoebe is cooperating with me and is actually staying pretty silent. I know it has to do with the fact that she is intimidated by Matty. I remember when I had Kristian around, Phoebe hated him. Probably because he was always a dick to her, but then again, he was a dick to me too.

Matty tried getting her to talk a little bit, but she either mumbled in response or didn't even respond at all.

"She's just shy." I assured him quietly, noticing his shift in mood.

When we got to the zoo, Phoebe's eyes lit up with excitement. We haven't been here in so long, and this is honestly one of her favorite places. Well, from what she remembered. The last time we were here, our mom was with us. Phoebe was only two at the time. She loves animals, and knows that the zoo has plenty of them.

My mother and Phoebe were very close, and it crushed Phoebe when she found out she would never get to see her mom again. It crushed me, too. I sometimes wonder if she ever really fully grasped the concept of death at such a young age. I don't know if she remembers Mom, or if she only remembers the idea of her. She is mature, though. Very mature. After our mom died, she was forced to grow up a little faster than I would have liked her to. Our dad hasn't been any help, either. He didn't step up and take responsibility when he should have. He can't take care of himself, let alone the two of us. I just hope she can have a better life than I have had ever since our Mom died.