Part 7

Amarendra's mind still wandered the channels of his memory. Glimpses of Amrutha's smiles as she learned to limp to him were burned into his heart. However, pain always followed when he wandered back in time; It squeezed him tightly and wouldn't let go. Her smiles faded into the darkness and disgust filled him once more.

"Sir?"

Amarendra snapped out of his haunting thoughts.

"Sorry for disturbing you sir."

"What was so important that you interrupted me?"

"Sir, the messengers has come back. Most of the neighboring kingdoms have bowed down to your power."

"Most?"

To this, Za'im looked down at his feet.

"Your Majesty, one kingdom, the Vasundhara kingdom, has refused the offer of surrender."

Amarendra laughed as if he heard a joke.

"So this is the ninth one; do they not know the terms if they do not surrender?"

"They have been warned sir."

"Prepare for war."

"Sir, another one?"

"When I was crowned King, I made a vow to expand this kingdom until my enemies have been conquered. When I discover who committed that crime, I may stop expanding."

"Sir, is this the one concerning Amrutha? Your Majesty, but she..."

"I know what she did Za'im; do not remind me. She did, but I made a promise and I intend to keep it."

"As you wish sir."