Chapter 7: Bad Grandma

If there was one thing Kathryn despised more than visits to the doctor, it was visits to her paternal grandmother's house. Eleanor Smith was a seventy-three year old woman who had become a widow for about two and a half years. She loved cooking, singing and knitted things for her family from sweaters to socks. She was a sweet woman who approached everyone with dignity and respect.

Everyone but Kathryn.

At first Kathryn assumed it was because compared to older sister, she had light chocolate brown skin. The older Kathryn became, the smarter she was and realized the real reason why Grandma E didn't necessarily like her like she did to all her grandchildren.

Kathryn was the product of Grandma E's sons mistake. Grandma E didn't believe in mistakes so to her, Kathryn was just a waste of space preparing for college in a couple of months. There was nothing Kathryn could do to get her grandmother's approval. Even though Grandma E was nasty, Kathryn would suck it up for the family.

She tried her best to avoid any confrontation with her. Which meant, not tagging along to any of the visits. With well-crafted lies, she was able to avoid majority of the visits. However, this Saturday Grandma E was turning seventy-four. That was something Kathryn unfortunately couldn't avoid. The following Sunday Daphne would head back to university.

Pulling her suitcase from the closet, she zipped it open and dusted off excess dust that was collected over the years from neglect and just not traveling as often as she should've. With the money she had, Kathryn was obligated to splurge as much as she should on vacations. By doing so, it made her feel like a Kardashian.

And a Kardashian was not what she wanted to be.

Kathryn started grabbing a few clothes for the weekend trip. She wasn't looking forward to meeting that wrinkly woman; but she would keep a fake smile for the sake of the family. The only person who knew how mean Grandma E was to Kathryn was Daphne. One day Daphne cornered their grandmother and forced her to back off on Kathryn.

So, Grandma E would inflict her rudeness when Daphne wasn't in the room. Grabbing her toiletries and stuffing them in a separate bag, Kathryn finished up while Daphne waltzed in just a bra and panties with her phone pressed against her ear.

"Yeah, your dick is huge," Daphne answered with an eye roll before she ripped the phone from the side of her ear and abruptly hung up. "Jeez I swear guys need a reminder of how big their penis is. Even if it's not that big," she said as if Kathryn knew a lot about guys and their big or small package.

"Was that phone sex?" She asked with a smile on her face.

"To him it was. I swear I could hear the dude moaning a name that wasn't mine. The nerve am I right?"

"Right. So... you're almost naked in my room. Why is that?"

Daphne took a once over at her attire and shrugged. I needed to borrow your razor and I felt that by the time I get in my bathroom I would have to take off my clothes and all that crap. So, I figured just get halfway naked to your room and use your bathroom and razor."

Shaking her head, Kathryn zipped open her bag and handed Daphne her razor. "I don't want AIDs on it," she joked.

"Bitch," Daphne laughed out as she snatched a lone towel and dashed into Kathryn's vacant bathroom.

━━━━━━━━━

Florida was a state that was as hot and humid as it gets with rain here and there. While Kathryn was used to the cooler climates of DC, spending some time in a warmer environment was also a blessing on earth. Kathryn had applied to three colleges in Florida, two in California, one in New York and four in Texas. They were a little far from home, but she was excited for the new adventure that would await.