Chapter 4: Cravings & Crushes

For the rest of the school day, neither Victor nor Vanessa approached Kathryn. Not even Victor's goonies sent her the evil eye. It was as if the actions that Kathryn created in the cafeteria made her unapproachable.

Invincible.

By the end of the period, Kathryn was ready to call it a day. She signed up for a Music Theory class earlier in the year, in hopes of finding a musical talent among the many instruments. Though she was paired with the most basic instrument of them all.

The triangle.

"Class I've brought with you all today one of my most promising students," Ms. Cat said. She was also named Catherine but it was spelled different from her name. Ms. Cat was a divorced mother of three who rode bicycles in order to save the planet.

Kathryn looked up from triangle and caught Shane's eyes. She couldn't help but feel her heart flutter in excitement. His bright green eyes held a hazy gold to them that made her want to combust with absolute joy. While Ms. Cat was explaining the assignment, Kathryn couldn't keep her eyes off of Shane and neither could he.

Ms. Cat's hand rested on Shane's shoulder and he snapped his gaze away from her. Kathryn felt a little upset that their staring was momentarily interrupted but soon class started. Kathryn stared at the music notes too confused to understand the simplest of clefs.

"Need help?" a familiar voice asked.

Kathryn smiled as she looked up at Shane. His hair was still falling over his eyes but it just made him look so cute.

"Actually I do. I don't understand this," Kathryn admitted as she handed the notes she had written in class a couple weeks ago. Shane took the notes and skimmed them over super quick before chuckling.

"Kathryn...what's so hard about playing the triangle?"

"Sorry we can't all be musical prodigies like you can," she snapped feeling a little on the defensive side. She didn't mean to lash out at Shane but trying at something so hard that was a freaking triangle was embarrassing. Including the fact that she couldn't hit the triangle at the right moment.

"Woah, woah. I didn't mean it as an insult. I'm sorry," Shane said running a hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry. I was just being a bitch," Kathryn muttered. She liked Shane a lot and didn't want him to think that she was just like all the other popular girls.

She was different.

"Let's start over." He smiled at Kathryn as he read the notes to her, explaining the different symbols and how everything worked. By the time class was over, Kathryn was actually able to play the triangle a lot better than she could since she was tasked with it. Of course Shane had to help other students that were struggle with actual instruments, but every time he caught Kathryn staring, he'd wink at her.

As the bell rang dismissing students, Kathryn gathered up her things and waited until every left to walk up to Shane. "Ah, thanks for helping me today," she said shyly as he collected scraps of gum wrappers from the band room floors.

"Always," Shane replied with a smooth smile. Then added, "if you ever need help, just call me. Music can be a confusing thing to understand."

"I'll make a note of that," she stated feeling so flustered with herself. She hasn't had a real crush since fifth grade when Tommy Ward helped pick grass out of her hair and cream colored school dress. Leaving it at that, Kathryn headed outside and watched a red Ferrari pull up in front of her.

"Get in bitch!" Daphne said with a laugh.

Rolling her eyes, Kathryn climbed in the passenger seat and buckled up. Daphne was one of the most reckless drivers that Kathryn had ever encountered. She had no respect for the rules of the road and flirted her way around most of the speeding tickets. There were moments where she even parked in the handicapped section.