Chapter 5: Magic of Stilettos

While balancing school, Kathryn also juggled a part-time job over the weekends on the last two weeks of every month which was a counter girl at Cool Beans. She loved the coffee and pastries but hated the people she had the displeasure of working alongside.

They were all conceited, obnoxious and looked down on Kathryn just because she was rich. They assumed she had it easy with money a big factor in her life, but they didn't know the half of it. With her own transportation, Kathryn was able to wake up on her own time.

Which is what she did that morning.

Yawning the sleep out of her, she rolled out of bed and got ready for the day that was yet to come. Her uniform was folded and ready for Kathryn by the time she got out the shower. As slipped on her undergarments, she would remember how her mom would protest and tell Kathryn that all she ever needed was to just ask.

But Kathryn knew that her parents weren't going to be here forever. She needed to know how to take care of herself and working at the coffee shop was a good start. Pinning her name tag to her uniform, Kathryn threw her damp hair into a neat ponytail and slipped on the horrid cap that came with the uniform.

Daphne was leaving tomorrow night and Kathryn really wished that she could spend the day with her sister but duty calls. It was really nice of her boss to let her work twice every two weeks with a lesser paycheck than the other workers who showed up five times a day every week.

Kathryn took a deep breath and gave herself a quick pep talk before heading to work.

━━━━━━━━━  

Once she arrived at work, she parked her car and headed into the 'employees only' restroom. The kitchen was bustling with workers as Kathryn grabbed her apron and manned her station. From the morning until the afternoon, she was on cleaning duty. Then in the afternoon she would work at the front counter.

Grabbing the bucket, she headed out back and hosed down the dirty mop water. Refilling the bucket with fresh water, she grabbed the bottle of pin soil and squeezed the soap in the water. She let the water and soap sit as she greeted her acquaintance.

She wouldn't call Raven Leonard a friend per se but she was a great person to talk to. Though today, Raven was in tears as she busted through the doors striding straight towards Kathryn.

Oh boy. She thought. Everyday was a different story with Raven

Kathryn masked her face as Raven approached her. "Aww Ray what's wrong?" Kathryn asked shifting to concerning associate mode.

Raven wiped the tears out of her eyes as she tried to make a coherent sentence. "R-r-ryan d-dumped m-me," she whined snot coming out of her nose.

Great.

"I'm sure he'll come around," she rehearsed. Every other time she was here, this was how the conversations usually ended. Kathryn would reassure Raven and by tomorrow, Raven would come to work all giddy and happy.

Make up sex did wondrous things to the human body.

"N-no its serious this time!" Raven cried out. "He f-found out that I-I was p-pregnant and d-dumped me!"

"Wait your pregnant? Raven you turned twenty two months ago--"

"Can you cut the crap? I've already heard this once from my mom, I don't want to here it from you either. I just need some support in times like these," Raven replied slowly calming down.

Apologizing, I rushed to get her a glass of water and guided her to a bar stool. She slowly drank, chocking back on the water as she hiccuped. I patted her back in reassurance, trying to soothe her nerves. This used to work for Daphne back when she was a young teenager going through her many phases.