Chapter 42

New York, 2015

It had been a long day for her. Grueling even. As she sat on her bed and stared continually at the pregnancy test.

Still in shock and disbelief she couldn't come up with an explanation for what happened to her.

"You can't say anything about this Mimi," she slowly lifted her eyes to her cousin that sat on the floor back against the wall.

Their gazes met.

Shocked Mimi shook her head. "What do you mean? Someone needs to go to jail for this."

Tara frowned. "What? Why?"

Mimi scoffed shaking her head.

" You were clearly raped Tara," Mimi said.

Tara bounded off the bed with a scowl.

"No I wasn't."

Mimi stood to face her.

"You were in a coma for nearly 4 months Tara, how do you explain it then."

"I can't. There is no way to explain it. But....I know I wasn't raped."

"How can you be sure, Tara?"

"I just know." she blurted out agitated. "I just know, please dont say anything to anyone." Tara covered her stomach protectively and looked away from Mimi's astonished gaze.

"Tara, dont you think in a couple of months it will be too late for that. You will be showing," Mimi searched her gaze.

Tara lowered her head. The thought of her going through this pregnancy alone brought tears to her eyes. The overwhelming thought that Duncan will never see his child or their child will never know his father saddend her. A sob escaped her and then another.

Mimi immediately pulled her close.

"Please Tara tell me whats going on I don't know how to help you," Mimi cried with her.

She wished she could confide in Mimi. She would never believe her. But.....she had to try. She had to convince her.

Somehow she had to convince her.

Tara slowly pulled back to look into Mimis eyes. The look alone alarmed Mimi.

She slowly pulled Mimi with her to the bed and sat down begging her to sit down. She frowned and sat facing Tara.

Tara looked down choosing the words to explain what she went through.

"What I have to tell you is important Mimi. You have to believe that I am telling the truth. Its not in my head. Its real," she squeezed Mimi's fingers.

Mimi shook her head confused by Tara's words. "What is real Tara? What are you talking about?"

Tara insisted. "Please just promise me you will hear me out. You will have an open mind Mimi.."

A silence drew out shortly as Mimi wearily searched Tara's gaze with concern and held her hand that now trembled. Finally slumping her shoulders she agreed.

Intently her gaze rested on Tara focused on what she was about to say.

Then Tara began to explain everything. From the moment she fell.

How she struggled with the reality of whether it was real or not. How she befriended Aidan and the arguments she had with Duncan.

She rested abit from speaking as her throat tightened with the heartwrenching pain she felt. Mimi urged her to continue.