43 │interrogation

Pacing in circles in the lobby, Taylor glances at her phone to end the call just at it reaches Kris' voicemail. She sighs, letting her arm drop to her side as she glances around at the small police station.

Two dispatchers sit at the front desk, both of them on calls. One of them gazes off to the side and, judging by her irritated expression, it's obvious that the person on the other line is not in a crisis. Then again, in this small town, something as minor as a drainage pipe breaking in someone's restroom is considered grounds for an emergency.

Several desks are scattered in front of them, officers walking between them as they talk to one another. From what Taylor can hear, most of the commotion is about the murders. She hears her last name and knows instantly that her brother is the main topic of discussion.

"Coffee?" Millie turns the corner as she exits the break room, carrying two small Styrofoam cups of coffee. Hers is black, but Taylor's is soaked with sugar and creamer. Just how she likes it, at least from what Millie can remember.

"No thank you." Taylor nervously bites her fingernail, staring at a door in the nearby hallway as she continues to walk back-and-forth. She slides her phone in her pocket. "Jesus, I can't believe nobody is answering their phone! I tried calling the house but nobody picked up. And Kris—"

Millie sets both the drinks down on a short table next to her. "Hey, you said Riley and Casey are on their way, right? I'd tell you to relax, but honestly it's a really crummy situation. I'm here if you want to talk."

Taylor sits down on a nearby bench, crossing her legs. "Thanks, but I really don't want to talk."

"I'm here if you need to talk."

"It's alright."

Sitting down next to Taylor, Millie turns to face her. "Look, I know we haven't been the best of friends lately but we used to be really close. You're going through a lot right now and, no matter how hard you try to hide it, I know you Taylor. Don't shut me out. Not now."

"I can't..." Taylor pauses, carefully thinking about what she is going to say. "I can't talk to you. It's not like I don't want us to become close again. It's just, well, right now it seems like everyone I'm tied to has a big, flashing target on their back."

"Why do you say that?"

Shaking her head, Taylor knows that she already said too much. "I just—I can't explain it. Right now I just want to make sure everyone I know is okay. But Millie, trust me when I say you're better off far away from me."

Millie leans in closer, her mind racing as she already starts aligning the puzzle pieces together. "Is this the same reason you broke up with Marc?"

Taylor's mouth opens but, before she can respond, a door swings outward as Sheriff Martinez steps out into the corridor from one of the interrogation rooms. He quickly closes the door behind him before they can get a glimpse inside.

"Dad?" Millie asks as the two attentively stand up.

Stepping forward, Taylor takes a deep breath. "Can I talk to my brother?"

"First, I need to talk to you." Martinez says as he walks down the small hallway to open a door to another room. He waves his arm, signaling for Taylor to follow him.

Millie grabs Taylor's arm before she can take another step. "I'll be right here."

Taylor nods before gently pulling out of her grip to walk over to Martinez, stopping in front of the door. She hesitates for a brief moment before entering the room.

He shuts the door behind them. The room is damp and bleak with no windows, the only light flickering from the dim lamp hanging above. The sad thing is that, rather than it being there for intimidating purposes, it is probably like that due to budget cuts at the station. In the center is a rectangular steel table with two rusted chairs on each side of it. He pulls out a chair for her. "Have a seat."