45 │drowning in doubt

Kira opens the first door of her closet and reaches up with her free hand to tug at the pull string, turning the light bulb on. She holds the rolled up banner, held together by a thick hair tie, at her side. Although she really should be tossing it in the trash, she just can't find it in her to throw it away.

When she looks at it, the terrible decorating and even the spilled paint, it reminds her of Paige's true colors, which is a brighter spectrum than she likes to portray. She smiles as she runs her finger along its backside, before leaning in to tuck it behind her laundry basket.

"Run. Run for your life dear. Far from all you've ever known of fear." Kris runs her hand along the base of the microphone, her several rings clanging lightly against the brushed metal. "Chase. Chase down your demons. 'Til you're so close that they just disappear. Oh, I swear you're golden... on every piece of me that you're still holding. I lay me down for you." She looks up to see Jesse intensely watching her from the other side of the glass, paying far more attention to her than the controls beneath his fingers. She flashes him a smile before turning back to the microphone. "Ohh-oh, they pulled you in with siren songs and took your wings and tied you down. Who are they to drown you slow and take your mind to places that a mind should never go? Ohh-oh, ohh."

He continues to stare at her as she reaches the second verse of the song. For a moment, he tunes out her voice as he focuses in on her emerald eyes, which glisten perfectly from the track light fixture aimed down from the ceiling above her. His gaze falls to her lips, watching as they move softly with each word that escapes her mouth.

As she glances his way, he quickly looks down at the mixer and pretends he is adjusting a knob, although he already knows her voice needs little to no editing. Her pitch is just perfect as it is.

The song wraps up a couple of minutes later as the drummer hits the high tom for the last time, the final beat bouncing off of the walls until it fades out and silence settles into the air.

Jesse leans forward as he pushes the button beneath the small microphone. "Great job, Kris! Your voice is to die for."

"Thanks!" Kris smiles at him as the band quickly disassembles their equipment behind her. Her smile fades as she thinks, wondering where she has heard that compliment before.

With a quick tilt of his head, Jesse signals her to come to the control room. She scoots out the barstool before jumping to her feet and walks over to the room as he swings open the door.

"Seriously." He says, holding the door open for her as she enters the narrow room. "That was... wow. You were amazing."

She smiles as she slightly leans against the mixing console. "Well thank you. I can't take all the credit though, I do have a pretty awesome manager."

"Really now?" Letting the door shut, he turns to slowly approach her.

"Yes." Her smile widens as he gets closer. She doesn't flinch. "And he's as handsome as he is cocky. You should totally meet him some—"