XI. The Flames Of Blood and War

Seething chaos reigned in the courtyard. Overhead the dark clouds were heaving, low and angry over the castle, the hot wind swirling so fiercely it made it difficult to see. Flakes of black ash floated on the wind, forked red lightnings seared across the bruised undersides of the clouds, the stones lit up by lurid smears of red. The mass of the clouds grew thicker around the east tower, wisps of black shroud pulled down from the mass of the storm, and swirling around the tower's top like it was the center of a whirlpool in the sky. And at the center of it all, the center of the wind, the boiling clouds, the falling ash, was Lady Delilah. I could hear the terrible power of her voice. The wind was heavy with it, not carrying it, but actually made by it, controlled by it
Into this howling darkness we were plunged. Silas's minions no longer intent on feasting, they had one mission: to kill. They bounded across the stones, pouncing on their victims from behind, clinging to their shoulders like misshapen leeches, wrestling them to the ground. Heedless of injury, they flung themselves into danger, violently tearing at anything that moved.
I was blindly jostled by man and beast alike, the stifling air reeked of blood and sweat, the sky a heaving tumult of thunder and destruction. Blood ran between the paving stones, and streaked against my face. The crimson stain was on my hands, in my shirt, in my hair, and in the confusion I couldn't have told if it was mine, or another's. Every breath was like fire in my lungs, searing and all consuming.
To my left I saw a blur of motion, and danced out of the way, a blade slicing across my arm. Burning pain blossomed in my shoulder, throbbing heat pouring through me. I gripped the wound with one hand, feeling hot runny blood seeping through my fingers, and caught my attacker's second blow with the edge of my blade.
A shuddering explosion rocked the stones, the courtyard heaving with the sound, and a sphere of black flames rippled out from the wall, sending out a shockwave of scorching cold. The men caught in the flames doubled over, trying to keep their footing, before they were all reduced to dust, their withered forms crumbling under the force of the explosion. Then the black fire swirled and vanished, leaving the castle's white stones covered in spidery frost.
I reeled as the stones shook under me, turning my head to look at the explosion. Lord Briarwood, his cloak flung aside, the darkness of his blade like a gaping hole of nothingness in the shadows of the storm, was locked in desperate combat with a slim woman with wild blonde hair. She brought her hands up, her fingers splayed stiff in front of her, and a crackling line of blue white lightning seared across the stones, striking Lord Briarwood and scorching everyone close to him.
Blazing white light filled the courtyard, throwing Silas's stark black shadow across the stones, and through the heaving chaos I saw the danger. A sword cut across my back, as I ripped myself away from my enemy, careless of the throbbing angry pain across my shoulders. Urged on by desperate fire, I mounted the steps to the wall top, sprinting across the stones, bursting through the door into the winding stair of the east tower.
Geru's footsteps disappeared ahead of me, and I leapt after him. He knew I was behind him and sped upwards, his roar of desperation echoing around the inside of the tower, both of us racing up the tower steps. I could hear him breathing raggedly as he charged up the slope, his footsteps labored, and smears of blood on the wall where he supported himself with a hand. I was gaining on him. A shattering crash, and we had reached the roof, where we both stumbled.
The wind howled over the sound of Lady Briarwood's voice, blocking all other sound. Darkness swirled around us, thick and heavy, weaving us into the hissing shadows of night. Scorching heat danced in the air, burning in my eyes and nose, making the air a poison to breathe. Lady Briarwood was still sitting in the exact same attitude on the ground, hunched like a greedy child over the dark orb. It was steaming, dark black smoke pouring down its sides, creeping across the stones. 
Geru, regaining his balance, turned and met me. My sword shuddered against his, and I threw my whole weight into my blow, but he forced me back, my feet sliding across the stones. Here I found my opportunity, dancing forward, and drawing a swift stroke across his midsection. Before I could slither out of reach a stab of searing pain overwhelmed me, Geru's blade sinking into my side, and I let out a gasp, stumbling back as he ripped his sword away. The second strike cut upwards across my ribcage, drawing a line of hot pain across my chest and right shoulder. He struck at me again, but this time his blade missed, hissing past my cheek, the breath of it whispering against my skin.
Lady Briarwood suddenly arched her back, flinging her head up to the sky, and breathing in. The world heaved around us, Geru barely keeping his feet, and I staggered to my hands and knees, my mind reeling. It felt like all the air was ripped from my lungs, was ripped from the wind, was ripped from the valley. There was no air anywhere. The darkness was all pulled inwards, drawing together, the power in the air growing so tense it would shatter, then a wave of heat burst outward, flinging Geru on his back at the edge of the circle.
Throwing her arms out Lady Delilah released a cry of exultant triumph, glorying in the power that coursed through her body. I screamed, and covered my ears. Overhead the dark clouds were sucked downwards, darkness swirling around her.
Gracefully Delilah rose to her feet, her form towering over us, filling all my vision. She seemed grown immeasurably tall, powerful beyond the reach of my thought. Power, like I had never felt before, throbbed in the air around her, making all the little hairs on my arms stand up.
She looked over at Geru, dark energy swirling around her, and her eyes were completely black, their entire surface covered in inky darkness. Hand tensed so that every tendon stood out taught against her skin, she pointed at him, that Other whispering in her voice. Geru stood up, blood soaking into his shirt where I had struck him.
Thunder rumbled overhead, and I looked up, gazing fearfully at the vast expanse of darkness that loomed over the valley. The clouds heaved, writhing like a sickened animal, and a spot of livid red bloomed overhead. A ball of fire tore through the middle of the roiling murk, striking into the side of the tower with a burst of raging heat, and Geru was flung over the edge of the tower. His figure, impossibly small and dark in the blackness of the storm, fell like a small aimless stone, plummeting into blackness and obscurity. I screamed, struggling to my feet, and running to the edge of the tower.
Hardly giving Geru's death a second glance, Lady Briarwood turned and looked down. Stretched out below us was the city of Whitestone, its buildings lining the twisting streets, the Lady's Chamber standing out over the rest. The sky heaved, the clouds torn apart as Lady Briarwood lifted her arms, and their bruised twisted forms unleashed a torrent of hellfire over the city. Like something from a nightmare, drawing streaks of fire and smoke across the sky. Flames danced, the city buildings crumpling like a collection of children's toys, and I heard a bell begin to ring urgently, its desperate sound echoing over the valley.
My city...My people...My Home...
Then Delilah staggered, and my attention instantly fastened on her, concern blooming in stomach. With a crack of thunder the spell broke, and she fell. Dark energy ripped from her chest, and the Orb pulled the energy from her body back into itself, becoming once more just an inert featureless orb of black crystal.
I leapt across the stones to her side, the flames, the screams, Geru, Whitestone, all vanishing from my thoughts. My mind, my whole purpose was bent on Delilah Briarwood. Flinging myself to my knees at her side, I desperately gathered her into my lap, my breath ragged. I crouched over her, listening, begging, pleading, for a breath. The faintest whisper stirred my hair, and I burst into tears, relief crushing me.
I gathered her to me, touching her face, brushing aside her hair. The faint whisper stirred against my cheek, and I felt it with my fingers, longing for one more proof, and yet more, and yet more. Gently I wrapped my arms around her, laying my cheek against hers.
"I've got you...You're safe, I'm right here. You can rest, its all over now...Rest...just rest..."