Chapter 20

I almost consider asking Charlie if he wants me to stay at my dorm tonight. We’ve been together non-stop lately. I’m not tired of him at all, but he is so polite, I know he would never say anything if he were feeling like he needed time alone.

As soon as we get into Clemson though, he asks if I need to stop by my dorm before going back to his house, and doesn’t even consider that I wouldn’t be staying with him.

I drop off my suitcase in my room and pack a smaller bag just for tonight, since I’ll be back between my morning and afternoon classes tomorrow. Charlie waits for me in his car, and when I climb back in, he asks, “I know it’s early, but do you want to pick up something for dinner before we go home?”

I smile, because it still makes me happy when he says home like it’s mine, too.

“Sure,” I say, “I’m hungry now, anyways.”

Cooper greets us with his usual enthusiasm as soon as we open the door to Charlie’s kitchen from the garage. Charlie carries our dinner to the living room – fast food burgers and fries, with large sodas, and I stop off to feed Cooper.

As I pass by the refrigerator, I notice a note written in child-like handwriting.

“Charlie?” I call, retrieving Coopers food and bowl, “I think Mason left you a note. Do you want me to bring it to you?”

“Please,” He answers, and I hear the TV come on in the living room.

I give Cooper his dinner and collect the note for Charlie. Mason must have left it when he and Casey were here taking care of Cooper – a favor that they do often for Charlie when he travels.

I don’t want to be nosy, but I glance passively at the note and unintentionally collect what it says.

            Charlie,

            My football team is having a dad’s dinner tomorrow night (Monday) and I don’t think my dad can go. I haven’t asked, but he hasn’t been home much lately and you know more about football anyway. If you aren’t busy, will you go with me, please?

                                                            Mason

I reach the couch and sit down next to Charlie, handing him the note. He holds it in one hand, his food in the other, and frowns when his eyes move over the scribbly handwriting.

He sighs and I don’t know what to say.

“Did you read this?” He asks, handing me the note again.

I take it and place it on the table, “I did. He is lucky to have you. What would Mark say, if he saw the note?”

Charlie looks down at his lap with a frown on his face, “He would go to the dinner. He’d probably say something like, ‘I know I need to be home more. I’m going to stay home more,’ and then next week, he’d be out again. It’s been the same thing for years. He pushes everyone around him to the edge, and then he straightens up just long enough to make everyone okay with him again.”

“At least he still cares enough to do that. It’s harder on everyone else, in a way, because you all are left with whiplash – that isn’t fair, but at least you know he still wants his life.”

Charlie doesn’t respond. I shove three fries into my mouth and feel guilty about what I’ve just said.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be playing devil’s advocate. I’m just trying to be positive because I can tell that he cares about you, and you know he loves Mason. I don’t understand the situation though, so all I can do is try to make you feel better.”