Chapter 44

I've linked Bastille's Coachella performance of "Oblivion" in the sidebar. It's my favorite Coachella performance that I've seen so far this year, and I listened to it on repeat while writing.

Only about three or four chapters left!

_________________________________

Charlie doesn't try punishing me for not giving him an answer to his invitation. He doesn't pout, or become aloof. He doesn't even seem irritated by my lack of enthusiasm, like I might be if the roles were reversed. But with my hesitance weighing down on him, I can't imagine that his cool will last long.

Unless, of course, he sees what I see for him - a future that could be limitless if he can avoid the natural restrictions that come with the feeling of being relied upon.

For now, we walk hand in hand down a street that I of course don't recognize. Having left early enough, he doesn't hurry me along. He lets me take in my surroundings at my own pace: the parents who call after their children who'd been distracted by holiday displays in shop windows, the changing billboards and signs for shows and brands, the smells - the good and terrible. When he isn't watching me, Charlie studies his surroundings too, and while one part of me wishes to ask him his thoughts on living here, the other part is afraid to inquire about such thoughts if I can't reciprocate with my own.

Chris sits with his friends at the back end of the restaurant, where the table is somewhat hidden by long, heavy curtains. I only focus on the atmosphere of the restaurant for a moment - stark, modern furnishings juxtaposed with classic paintings and romantic lighting, - before focusing on the party at the table.

Three men, including Chris, and one woman sit together. While Charlie and I are dressed nice, in a more similar fashion as the rest of the restaurant goers, Chris' friends are all dressed in full suits.

"Ah, there you two are! We all came a bit early for a round - busy day for us. We deserved it," Chris beams welcomingly, motioning for Charlie and me to sit.

"Charlie and Stella, everyone," he introduces, "This is Kate Stein, we've just started working together again, since she's been in Brussels for two years," he motions to the woman who now sits next to me, and she smiles and mouths a hello to Charlie and me, and the men follow suit at their introductions.

"Kurt Vaughn, master of detail. He likes to correct me when he thinks I'm not listening. Morgan Keyes - he's the charming one, when I'm unavailable. And lastly, Keith Spank. I only keep him around because his last name is Spank. Also, his dad makes really good moonshine."

"Well, it's nice to meet you all," I say with a smile, unfolding my napkin into my lap.

Kate Stein begins to question Mr. Spank about his father's moonshine operation just as Chris leans across the table, beckoning me to lean towards him as well, "It's so much nicer for me now that Charlie's told you about our plans. I could tell you suspected something, and I'm not very good at keeping secrets, so it was quite painful for me."

"No secrets now," I say, anticipating a question of whether or not their "plans" will involve me.

"I know you aren't telling them lies about me already," Morgan warns Chris.

"Actually, I was just about to tell Stella about your connections at NYU."

"I'm sleeping with the dean of Tisch," Morgan pretends to whisper towards me, though I can tell that he cares little who hears.

"That's the school of the arts, right?" I ask him.

"Yes, my partner doesn't try very hard to defy stereotypes," he raises his brows and takes a drink of whatever liquor fills the glasses at the table. "He can get you in any program though, I'm sure. Are you a grad student?"