Chapter 34

I'm SO sorry it's been so long! And I'm sorry for the mistakes that are inevitable -- I'm in a rush, but wanted to go ahead with the update :)

Love to hear your thoughts. x

________________________

I wait for a while, looking over Charlie's sketches again, until my phone rings in the bedroom. I pace quickly down the hallway and only glance at the screen before answering, with enough time to see Dylan's name. Since Dr. Keller allowed me to take Friday off in order to give me more time to study, I haven't spoken to Dylan since Thursday, when she'd texted to let me know that her day was going fine at school.

"Hello," I greet her cheerfully.

"Stella? Hi, it's Dylan. Dr. Keller said that you were already on vacation from the office until next semester, and I know that you will probably be leaving Clemson soon. I was wondering, do you think I could still hang out with you and Charlie? Even if he can't come, maybe we could get together once before you leave?" Dylan speaks with a mixture of nerves and ease, like she is sure of her question, but not sure that she should be asking.

"Of course," I respond, "I think Charlie will want to come, too. What plans did you want to make?"

"We could just meet for dinner, or even coffee. Wherever and whenever you both want is fine with me."

I listen for Charlie as she speaks, wondering if his phone call has ended so I might ask if he would mind going tonight. The house is quiet, so I assume that he's still outside.

"Tonight works for me. I think Charlie will be able to come, but if not, we can still go. We can just pick you up around six and decide what sounds good. Does that work for you?"

Dylan agrees on our plans, thanking me for the offer to drive, and to make time for her at all, on such short notice.

At the same moment that I end our call, I hear the back door open, and Charlie reenters the house.

I exit the bedroom and start towards the living room, meeting him as he rounds the corner into the hallway.

"Sorry about the interruption," he smiles.

"No need to apologize," I state, as I cross in front of him and sit down on the couch.

"Dylan called, the girl whose house we went to the other night, remember? She wants to get together before I go home for Christmas."

"Charlie nods understandingly, leaning against the frame of the hallway entry and crossing his arms.

"She wants to meet you, too. She asked me if she could that night. I think -" I stop and look away, towards one of the windows that look out onto Charlie's front yard. I feel as if revealing why I think Dylan wants to meet Charlie would be some sort of betrayal, even if I know I can tell him anything about myself.

He leaves an empty moment, allowing me to consider my own actions before he speaks, "I'd like to meet her. When are we going?"

I look to him again while I repeat the plans from my phone call with Dylan. Then, I add my own gratitude.

"Thank you for being so agreeable."

"I'm always agreeable, aren't I?" he grins.

"I guess that's true," I consider with a smile, "Most people would probably overthink the situation though, and think it was weird."

"Meeting someone for dinner? It's a small thing."

"True, but remember the small things is a big thing."