Inner Demon

The sky was a dark night. The moon shining ominously in the atmosphere. The world around was monochrome and hazy. In the distance a bright city glowed warmly. The bright orange-ish glow made everything bright.

   A woman was walking down one of the lamp-lit sidewalks. Her blonde hair was waving in the wind as she walked against it in her cheap stilettos. She pulled her shawl around her arms tighter as her sequined dress clinked. Her face was smeared with about five pounds of make-up.

She was the perfect target for me.

   I started out walking behind her. She didn’t think anything of it since a lot of people were on the sidewalks. Especially when the night took over.

   However before long I was walking beside her, she couldn’t see me of course. No one could see me and I like it that way. Soon we turned a corner.

That was her last move.

   In a flash I sank my hand into the back of her neck. I drug her back into one of the dark alleyways and was careful of her blood. If it splattered against the sidewalk it would lead a trail right to me. I couldn’t let that happen. Not now.

   I immediately took a nail down her spine and split open her thin skin.  I then took out all of her innards and only left her bones. I then slipped inside her skin and merged with her bones. The slit that I made along her spine sewed up instantly and I was good to go.

   I started to walk but ended up tripping on my new heels several times. I grimaced at them and then took them off and hurled them into the trash bin.  I smiled and felt more comfortable. Now I could get on with my plan.

   Too bad the sun started to come up. I felt the pain of the sunlight and hissed in pain. Already this frail body was beginning to deteriorate.

   I raced out of the sun and into the shadows and felt immediately better. ‘Hm… it seems that even with a human vessel I still won’t be able to walk in the daylight…’ I mused. Seems that I would just have to wait until the sun went down again.

   I went off into the deeper shadows and used them as a doorway. I walked out of it and found myself into an old abandoned theater. The sunlight wasn’t getting in with the windows being boarded shut. The musty smell was very inviting too, just like home. I plopped myself down on one of the old couches and enjoyed lounging around.

Gabriel sighed as he stood in an alleyway. His fellow cops were investigating people and buildings. This was the third murder in a short while and all that was left of any of the victims was a puddle of blood and the innards of people.

   “Chief Gabriel! We found something!” One of Gabriel’s subordinates yelled. Gabriel looked over and saw that they were holding a pair of cheap silver stilettos.

   Gabriel looked at it unimpressed, “So? It’s a cheap pair of women’s shoes.”

“Yes, but do you see that they’re new? No woman in this town would throw out good shoes. Even if they don’t fit.”

“So you think that they belonged to whoever also left this blood stain and guts on the ground?”

   Gabriel looked at his subordinates impressed. He didn’t think that they would be able to pick something like that out of anything like that.

   He was borderline impressed about that however that soon disappeared when one of the Forensic Examiners came back with the results of the matching test they did with the guts and small piece of blood.

   “So what is the verdict?” Gabriel asked. The forensic scientist shook his head. Gabriel thought that his name was Ralph. He was pretty sure that it was. “S-sir… it’s um… your fiancé… she’s the one that was murdered….” Ralph muttered.