Better than ever

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, incidents and dialogues are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, events or locales, is entirely coincidental.

Check out the trailer at the side :)

Prologue: The last day of suffering

I pulled up the zip of my hoodie and stuffed my hands into my pocket. My brown hair was tied up in a messy ponytail and I kept my hazel eyes focused on the floor as I walked to my homeroom. I made a silent prayer that Mille and Company will leave me alone today. If it's possible, I made my 5' 6" look like 5' 4".

Mille has been bullying me since the age of 6. When we first met, she already made my life as miserable as possible. I thought that that was going to be last time that I will see Millie but no, she had to enrol into the same elementary school as me. I had no idea what I had done to Millie but she has made it a point to torture me whenever possible and this year was the worst. Life has just been difficult ever since then.

At the start of the year, Millie walked towards me and whispered into my ears ""I will take EVERTYTHING away from you." At first I thought she was joking, she proved it wrong when she took my ex-good friend Melissa and ex-boyfriend Jack, away from me. It's okay anyway, this had just shown me that Melissa was not what I thought she was and Jack was just... a jackass. Millie's a sadist, taking an interest in everything I have and always taking pleasure in making my life a living hell.

A familiar shrilling laughter pierced my ears and I saw Melissa and Jack standing beside Millie, like her minions. Millie's blond hair was tied up in a high ponytail and she caught my eyes.

She gave me a smirk and started walking towards me. I guess my prayer didn't work out cause she was walking towards me. I shuffled to the side and pressed my body against the lockers, hoping to stay out of their way. My hands were numb with cold and fear and I really hate the way my body would react whenever I saw her. Millie as usual stood at the front of her clique and was strutting down the hallway, her heels making that click click click as if to remind me of my imminent death. Just as she past me, she whispered "Evan's next."

My heart skipped a beat and words were stuck in my throat. This school prank was just getting too serious. Evan. My neighbour Evan, is my best friend and he always come at the right time, stopping Millie from making anything worse for me. When I was younger, I thought of him as my knight in shining armour. He is my best friend, the only person I trust, if she takes him away too, I don't know if I can continue staying in this school. Tears started prickling my eyes and I wished this bullying would stop. My parents could not stop Millie from bullying me, not when it was a pychological and emotional one. There was no evidence of her harming me in any way and I hated it.

She smirked as if sensing my worries and gave that high shrilling laugher again.

For the rest of the day, I flitted through classes and nothing the teachers say seem to make any sense. Finally it was lunch hour and I went to the cafeteria to get my food. I would usually eat at one of the deserted tables in the corner of the school, where no one would disturb me.

The cafetaria was divided into two broad groups of people, The Populars and The Unpopulars. Then there were subgroups such as the Preps (rich and social kids), Jocks, Emos and Nerds.

I was deep in thoughts, Millie's words had really gotten to me and I wanted to find a way to stop it. Suddenly, someone's leg shot out from the one of the seats at the last moment. Everything seemed to slow down at that moment, as if to see my misery of getting embarassed in front of everyone. I tripped over that leg and my hands shot out to prevent my face from doing an implant, scraping it the the process. Ouch. While I was deep in thoughts, I forgot to detour and accidentally passed the Populars.

"Careless aren't you, Chloe" a voice that was so sharp and sweet rang throughout the cafeteria, a voice that I would never forget. Millie.

I stood up and wanted to move away but one of her minions stopped me. I stared at her and hissed, "What do you want?" It took almost all of my strength to say that four words. On the outside I look brave but inside me, I was quivering with fear.

"Just some fun" she said airily. She slowly sipped her cup of drink and looked at me again.

"I can't finish this, what should I do?" she pretended to think, slowly, she raised the cup over my head and emptied the contents. Strawberry juice streamed down my hair and entire face and I heard silent gasps of people nearby. I clenched my fists so tightly that my nails were digging into my skin.'I will not cry!' I kept repeating in my head.

Everyone stood frozen at their own places, not caring if someone was being bullied. Nobody would stand up to her; this was because whoever disagreed with Mille would have a price to pay. That price was just too high for a student to pay.

"Back off" I heard my favourite voice and I immediately felt a little less tense.

I turned around and Evan was behind me. He shrugged off his thin navy cotton jacket and draped it over me. He led me out of the school gates, knowing that staying there would make things a lot worse. Skipping school was the least of my worries, I just wanted to be out of Millie's sight.

Once we're out at the park, my resolve broke and all the tears started streaming out, I can't stand being weak in front of them, the school crowd. I buried my face in Evan's shirt, taking in his woodsy scent as my tears drenched his shirt. He sat there allowing me to cry my heart out and rubbed small circles on my back in an attempt to comfort me.

After a while, I wiped my tears and hiccupped "Sorry, I made your shirt wet. And thank you" My voice was raw and scratchy from my breakdown.

"Anything for you Princess. Can't leave you alone for a moment huh?" he said, smiling at me "let's get you home"

Once we reached my front door, he kissed my cheek and brushed a strand of my hair away from my eyes. I waved Evan good bye and watched him enter his house, right next to mine. Thankfully Evan was always here when I was in need, without him, I'm not sure if I will survive in the school for that long. I ran into my house and realised that my father was out and my mother was packing her luggage.

"Hi Sweetie, how are you?" she chirped when she saw me.

"I'm fine. Mum? Is the offer still available?" I asked.

"You mean coming to Paris with us tomorrow?" she asked.

"Yes," I confirmed.

"Of course dear, you are always welcomed to join us" she said, smiling at me. She had asked me to move with them to Paris since last month when they picked a job that required them to stay there for a few years. I had insisted that I was old enough to take care of myself but every night, I would wonder if I should stay. Staying behind would only cause me more hurt and problems for everyone.

"Thanks" I said, before running to my room to pack. A gentle yet painful tug in my heart reminded me that if I left Evan behind, a part of myself would be left behind too. I looked at Evan's window, across from mine, his window had a dark blue curtain which was always tied up so that I could look into his room and call him anytime. I started to miss him before I even left.

Did I make the right choice?

Together with my parents, we went to the airport at 11pm in the night. Nobody knew about me leaving tonight, I hope Evan will not be too angry with me for not telling him. His parents and mine were quite close, they would inform him of my departure though for sure, I know he would be utterly angry and upset that I did not bid him goodbye. Part of me felt upset and broken that my best friend would not be supporting me anymore. While the other half was delighted at the thought that I was leaving this nightmare.

I will be back. And I will change everything. Even if it involves messing with Millie. Right now, I just need a break to recharge and prepare myself.

---------------------------------------------------

Made some major changes :) Vote and comment if you like. This chapter is just the beginning so it will be a little dry, read on and you might just like it :D