Chapter 8

“Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over.” ~Unknown

---Not edited---

When Friday came, the whole school knew about Millie’s party at her house. It wasn’t surprising, seeing that she is infamous for her bullying in school and people would just love to catch some gossip. Since she was the only child, her parents always allowed her to throw over the top parties as long as the police are not involved. That was two years ago, maybe her parties now are not that extravagant. But Millie after all is still Millie.

“Are you sure you want to go for Millie’s party?” Sherry asked, still staring at me in worry. We were sitting in our Math class, waiting for our teacher to enter. Sherry wanted to catch up on our ‘girls’ time’ as she said that I was spending too much time with Chris to care about her. Which I had to admit guiltily, it was true. Talking to Chris and Sherry was two total different feelings; there were things that could or could not be shared with either of them.

“I have to” I whispered loudly to her, fidgeting with the bracelet on my wrist.

She gives me a knowing look and announced, “After school, we’ll go to your house and prepare for the party”

“You’re coming too?” I asked. My spirits lifted slightly, glad that someone I knew was going to be there with me.

“Me? Definitely not. I don’t even want to step anywhere within 10 feet from her. I am going to help you look your dress up.” There goes my inflated spirits.

“Please join me?” I asked, giving her the puppy dog eyes and a pleading look.

“No arguments,” she said, sending me the look that says that she has made her decision.

“Thanks for offering to help me though,” I said, feeling glad that I won’t be alone, at least not until I get to the party. Chris doesn’t want to go too, what happened to helping your friends who’s in need?

*

6 hours later, I arrived at Millie’s house—or rather her mansion. Her house was one of the largest houses in this neighbourhood. Our lives seemed to be tied together; Millie just had to be within a ten minute walking range from my house.

It was three storeys high, and was the size of three football fields. Everything about the house screamed money and elegant. The house was painted beige with a little gold, and it has an iron gate at the entrance that only opens if the security guards allow it.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of music blaring as I came closer to her house. My stomach dropped as I realised I would actually have to deal with Millie alone. My hands became sweaty and I rubbed them on my dress. My dress was another factor for my nerves. It wasn’t what I would usually wear, it was too revealing for my taste. It was a low v-neck dress and an open back, the waistline was accentuated with jewels. A gust of wind blew and I felt it touching my bare back, which was really uncomfortable. Why did I let Sherry talk me into wearing this dress?

When I entered the mansion, I was instantly thrown into a room of teenagers dancing and yelling loudly. Standing next to the bar was a group of guys who are laughing raucously and I walked by them when a hand wrapped around my waist and I was pressed close to a guy’s body.

“Hey babe, want to have some fun?” he said, his alcohol-filled breath fanned across my face and I crinkled my nose in disgust

 “Have fun with yourself” I snapped, pushing him away.

I took a deep breath and walked towards the living room where I could find some food. The vibration of the music resonated in my body, making me more nervous about seeing Millie. Get a grip Chloe, you’re going to be fine, it’s just a party, what could go wrong? I thought. As I stepped into the living room, a girl bumped into me and spilled her wine all over my dress.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you” she gasped.

“No--” My words were interrupted by Millie. “Such a waste, quickly clean it up before it stains”

Was she being nice? That seemed to be too good to be true. Before I could say anything, one of minions, Kayla, started to drag me towards the toilet.

“Thanks, I can clean it myself” I said, pulling my hand out of her tight grip when she tried to follow me in. Walking into the toilet, I started to scrub whatever I could and then dabbed it with a piece of tissue paper. I was about to leave when Kayla barged in and started dragging me out, again.

“Hey I wasn’t done” I said, getting suspicious of her unusual behaviour. I started to yank my hand out, but with each try she was gripping tighter and tighter and we were closer and closer towards the backyard of her mansion.

“WHAT IS WRONG...” my words trailed off when I saw two familiar faces sitting on one of the benches. Millie my enemy, the one who has been bullying me all my life, was making out with Evan, my best friend and crush. I felt like an iron fist was pushing its way through my stomach and into my mouth.

Millie was below Evan and her eyes were open, mocking me. Evan’s back was facing towards me and he pushed Millie away. She gasped loudly and said “Chloe! What are you doing here?”

Evan turned around and his blue sober eyes widened. I guess he didn’t want me to find out that he was screwing around with Millie. Well, too bad for him. His mouth started to say something but I tuned out everything and focused on getting myself to move. I have never felt so humiliated in my life.

I turned around and ran out of the place, feeling my heart shatter with every step that I took. Without a second glance back, I ran out of the door, and jumped into the safety of my car. Revving up the engine, I sped out of the driveway, into the darkness of the night.

My heart was cracking and it hurts so much that I wanted to cry. I knew there was no reason to, Evan was just my friend, and we were not dating or anything. But even then, he should have known Millie was my worst nightmare and he shouldn’t be with her.

I drove towards my favourite beach and sat on the sand, feeling the hard coarse sand beneath my dress. Tears started to stream out and I wanted it to stop. Hell, I don’t even know why I was crying. I have no idea why it hurts so much. Maybe because I felt betrayed, I couldn’t believe my best friend of eight years was with my enemy. It was like my heart got ripped out of my body, stepped on a few times and was left to rot on the ground.

There wasn’t anyone around, since it was late at night and I was glad for that. No one would question why I was sitting alone out here at 11pm on a Friday night. The sounds of the wave crashing against the rocks did not have that usual calming effect on me.

Just when I thought my night couldn’t get any worse, it started to drizzle. The cold rain seeped into the sand, just like how energy was slowly leaving my body. It washed away my tears, soaking me wet. The sea breeze blew against my bare back and I shivered at the harshness of it. I was so tired; tired of all the stupid games Millie was playing.

Suddenly I felt the rain stopped splashing against my back and face. I looked up to see an umbrella above my head and my eyes trailed hand and then slowly to the face.

My body froze when I saw him. 

___

Just went back to read my own story and I thought it wasn't really developed and I felt like re-writing the whole thing. But I decided to just complete the story first before I edit and re-write :) 

I'm so sory for the late update, this is my first draft so everything is not edited. There will be mistakes .