Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Something weird is happening

Time for Plan A, I thought as I spotted my target. No crowd swarming him for now, better do it before I lose my courage.

He was moving towards his car and I walked behind silently. Suddenly, he turned around and I froze. Oops, caught in the act. I waved sheepishly and asked, “Are you free tonight?”

He took one moment to recognise me before saying brusquely, “No.”

And just that one word again, a wave of anger washed through me followed by sadness. “What is wrong with you? We just didn’t see each other for 2 years and now you’re blowing me off after I’m back”

“I was looking forward to see you, my best friend and now even after I apologised, you are still ignoring me. Would you like to tell me the reason why?” I exclaimed, my voice has raised a few octaves higher and I glared at him. It’s not his fault yet I can’t help but scream at him.

“Right, if you are my best friend, why would you ignore me for the past two years?” he said sarcastically.

“Wow, you’ve mastered the art of sarcasm. It’s not like I didn’t want to contact you, I... I...” I couldn’t think of an answer.

“See, so why should I talk to you now?” he said, spreading his arms in front of me to show his point.

“Can’t you give me a chance?” I said.

“No” he muttered.

“Is no your favourite word now?” I mumbled.

“No” he shot back, ignoring the irony.

“Fine then can you say something other than ‘no’?” I asked, trying a different way now.

“Stay as far away from me as possible” came his reply.

“I can’t do that!”

“Why is that so?”

“Cause you are my best friend!” I said feeling frustrated that I’m actually arguing with my best friend.

He seemed stunned for a moment before saying “Well, things have changed. You shouldn’t say anything if you don’t know”

“Then make me know” I yelled, I was losing my patience for some unknown reason.

He turned around and walked off towards his car, ignoring my previous sentence.

I knew I was being childish, but I can’t control myself and ended up stomping on my feet. “EVAN,” I growled, “I am soooo going to knock down that stupid ‘ice’ around you”

He let out a cold laughter before saying “Good luck to you then”

I wagged my finger and said, “Never ever underestimate a girl”

He turned around and continued walking.

The following week had been really quiet, Millie had not made a single move on me which I was thankful for but I had this feeling that something big and bad was going to happen. I had been going to Evan’s house for dinner as his parents knew that my parents were out of town so they decided to ‘take care’ of me.

During history class, the teacher Mrs Smith made Evan my partner for the project. I caught Evan’s eye and smirked at him, there’s no escaping now. Gosh, I sounded so creepy.

“Mrs Smith, can I change my partner?” he asked her while glaring at me.

“No, this is the final decision. This project will take up 20 percent in your finals” she said.