Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Could it be true?

Hmm, this is really comfortable I thought as I snuggled closer to my pillow. Then my haze was broken when my pillow started vibrating. Since when do pillows start vibrating? I rubbed my eyes sleepily and found Evan trying to control his laughter.

“Finally waking up Sleeping Beauty” he said, reaching over to brush a stray of my brown hair off my face. His green eyes caught mine and I was lost in it, I experienced a feeling that I should not feel. My stomach decided to growl at that moment, breaking the moment causing Evan to burst into laughter again. I could feel my face blushing and I looked at my fingers.

“It seems that the Princess is hungry.” he smirked.

“No I’m not,” I lied

“Yes you are, I’ll go get some food for you” he said, before leaving the room.

“Thanks” I whispered to the now empty room. Finally things were looking up; Evan was talking to me at last.

“What are smiling about?” I jerked out of my thoughts to see Chris standing at the room door.

“Nothing” I replied, smiling again.

“It’s about Evan right?” he said and I smiled, confirming his question.

“If you like him, you should just let him know.” He said, taking a seat next to my bed.

“What are you talking about? I don’t like like him in that way” I defended. Do I? “And I’m sure he doesn’t like me in that way”

“What makes you say that?” he asked, raising his eyebrows as if I said something humorous.

“Because he’s my best friend?” I said, but it sounded more like a question.

“I think you should know something. When you fell down the stairs, Evan was so frantic and I have never seen him this anxious before. He was calling your name non-stop and I could tell he was torn between leaving you there and wait for the ambulance or carry you to the hospital right away.” He said.

I gave him a blank look, I can’t believe Evan did that.

“That’s because he’s my best friend” I said, still confused about his actions.

“The look he gave you was not what you would look at your best friend”

“That’s impossible, he hates me. I tried talking to him and he ignored me. All the time” I replied, not believing what I heard. Inside I was jumping with joy when I heard Evan might like me, but I don’t want to keep my hopes too high. The question was, do I like him in that way?

Just then, Evan came in with a tray of food. His expression changed from happiness to sending daggers the moment he spotted Chris.

“Well, I should get going. Get well soon Chloe. Don’t forget what I’ve said” Chris said, giving me a wink and I laughed in response.

“What did he say?” Evan asked as he placed the food in front of me.

“Nothing, I’m starving” I exclaimed as I started wolfing down the food.

He seemed to be lost in thought for a moment before saying “I asked the doctor to keep you in for observations for another day”

I choked on my food and he started patting my back. “What?! Another day in the boring hospital?” I exclaimed.

“It’s better for you that way.” He said. I pouted in response and crossed my arms.

*

“Chloe, don’t rude. You have to go to Millie’s birthday party” My mother chastised.

“But Millie doesn’t even like me and she always bully me” I whined, giving her my puppy dog eyes.

“It doesn’t matter whether she likes you or not, you have to go. Just ignore her if she bully you and tell me. Ok?” My mother said.

“Chloe come with me. I have something to tell you” Millie ordered.

“Ok” I replied meekly as I followed her silently.

“I dropped my necklace into my swimming pool, can you pick it up for me?” she said.

“I don’t see anything in there” I said as I peered into the colourless pool. All of a sudden, I felt a push on my back and I fell into the pool. Not knowing how to swim, I struggled to prevent myself from sinking.

“Help!” I yelled in fright as I swallowed another gulp of water filled with chlorine. No one was at the pool, I was all alone. No one was going to save me.

*

I held on to my crutches and made my way to the door. A week has passed since The Incident and I was glad to put it behind. The moment I opened, I saw Evan’s BMW parked in front of me. He got out of his car and took my book bag.

“What are you doing?” I asked in surprise.

“Sending you to school” he replied, “You can’t drive in that condition”

Oops, I forgot. We stayed silent throughout the entire way to school; it was not an awkward silence but a comfortable one. Then all too soon, the white school building came into view and I found myself having a bundle of nerves. When Evan pulled into the parking lot, the usual crowd of girls started gathering but what shocked me was Millie was among them.

Evan opened the car door for me and helped me out. “Evan, what are you doing with a sl*t like her?” she purred, giving me the famous dagger eyes.

What shocked me next was Evan defending me. His green eyes seemed to turn darker and he said, “Who are you calling a sl*t?!”

Millie seemed to have also been shocked by his actions and she stuttered “No one.”

“Good, I do not want to hear you calling Chloe names again. Am I understood?” he said.

Before Millie could reply, he directed me away towards the first class. Is it me or his attitude suddenly changed? Could he really like me like what Chris said?

______________________

Sorry >< This is just a filler chapter. My exams are coming and I might not be able to upload any time soon. But I will try to :) Leave your comments!! :D Should I continue the story? How was it? :D

Vote if you like <3