Fear

Once a long time ago there was a happy family, a mother, a father, and two happy little girls, but like i said, that was a long time ago. I was only six, my little sister Stella was still with us, mom was alive, and that was before the war. I'm sixteen now, and because I've already served my two teenage years in the military, dad remarried a wicked woman to take care of me while he did his job of making and repairing guns, cars, and pretty much anything that the military can use, including those old legendary cannons. Well about my step-mom, she was not the only new thing in my family, along with her I got not one but two horrible ugly evil step-sisters. They treat me like their personal slave. All I have left is my dad, and sometimes not even that. It gets so bad that I find myself falling into sleep with silent tears of fear rolling down my tan cheeks. Sometimes I don't even know if I'll live through the next day, it's worse than the war.

"I love you, Dad," I say on the morning of July 23, 2040, we're outside of the house by my dad's hovercar and he's about to leave on a business trip, again, I found out like an hour after he got back from his last one that he was leaving the next day. I hardly ever get to see him anymore, I don't know why but I've heard rumors that the war has reached a climax, and this climax is probably gonna be just as long as the beginning, I've also heard Mrs. Perkins next door say that the first 9 years of fighting was the pre-war,and now this is finally the beginning, the real fighting has just begun. I don't know what to think or what is true, but for now I hate that stupid war, I don't care what it's about, I don't even care if we win. I just want my dad back, and I want him to not get so close to the fighting. Well my dad is in his suit and tie, and I'm in my usual jeggings and t-shirt. 

"I love you to sweetie," my dad says, "and I promise I'll be back in time for your birthday. Please try not to upset your mom." 

"Step-mom," I mumble.

"What?" Dad asks.

  "STEP-mom, she's not my mother, she's my STEP-mom, and Anna and Zella are not my sisters they're my STEP-sisters, and don't say that they're just as much of my family as you and me, because they're not Stella and they're not Mom!" I say tearing up on that last part, "so don't bother correct me 'cause you're wrong!"

 "Okay then I won't, just," he whispers giving me a hug he looks into my eyes, "stay out of trouble, please, I know that these past 9 years haven't been very kind to you but, can't you just look here, in the present, and can you do me one last thing before I leave?"

 "Anything,"

 "Smile, give me your old smile,"

 I laugh a little and smile and my dad says, "There it is," he says suddenly snd smiles, he starts getting in the backseat of the hovercar as his chauffer holds the door open, "No I lo-" His chauffer slams the door closed, I never get to hear him say those words. His chauffer gets in and flies off.

"ISA!" my step-mom screeched in her squeaky high voice. I guess that is my cue to do my morning routine, cook, clean, occasional eating and drinking, and errands. I force my feet to the front door, stealing one last glance at the sky where my dad's car was speeding away, before disappearing inside the place that I used to call home.