Goodbye

It is a lot easier getting things done with an extra pair of hands helping. Got decorations done about half an hour before the party actually started and now I guess I am having my first actual conversation in a very long time, and I think I like it.

   "Question," John says.

   "Answer," I utter.

   He chuckles, then gets extremely serious, "How would you like to go on a trip," he pauses to look up at my face then rushes on, "You can go away. Get out of this craziness. I have a trip next week you could come with me and y-"

   "I'd love to get away, but as much as fond as I am of your company, not with you. The last thing I need right now is to have a boy running my life and my freedom. Besides you do not want the weight of my step-family breathing down your neck for taking me on a trip. I'm sorry but if I'm ever going to be treated like a normal person again I'd have to run away," I laugh during the last part, and tonight I will  I silently add. I try to smile to try to show him that I didn't mean anything personal even though I did, he just wants to be seen as a hero to someone. What else would he want he's a rich brat and I don't want to be saved I want to save myself it is easier and I want to be independent, I am not a damsel in distress, that requires being helpless. I am not helpless I will get out of here tonight and prove that I can help myself. It take to realize that john started talking again.

    "It's fine I understand and your right it wouldn't be very pleasant to have your stepfamily breathing down my neck," John added, "By the way, why do you always  stretch out the word step  when you say it, like step-Mom, step-sisters, and step-family?"

   I have to stop and digest what he said, "I guess, I just, it comes naturally, I don't consider them actually part of my family, no matter how legal it is, I can't consider someone that mean, rude, and selfish part of my family. I've actually never really thought about it very much before," I confidently stutter. He seems to accept that answer and stops asking about it, then I realize that he's looking at something behind me with wide eyes.

  "JOHN!" Anna and Zella shriek together.

  I wish I'd had a chance to cover my ears, I think as I scramble to get out of the way of their two person stamped.

  John," Anna Squeals.

 "You came for me, right John," Zella interrogates. He looks extremely uncomfortable and he deserves it. John is about to answer when the doorbell rings and some of the first guests arrive and they take him away to dance.

 "Isa, Get the door open then go to your room until the party is over!" my step-mom demanded.

  I do what she says and head up to my room to work on getting my tracker off and I don't really need to go out a window because my steps will be busy with the people coming in to notice anyone go out, therefore it will be easy to just walk out the front door. After fidgeting with the lock for a couple minutes I am able to get it off. I go downstairs to the kitchen  and the pantry and get enough food to last me a trip to Canada, I do not know where I'm going to go but I also don't know how long it will take me to get there. I grab my dad's gun for safety and several extra pair of clothes. I take the letter from the military, too. I grab an old side bag and try to sneak across the main dancing room, only to get caught by the mayor's son.

  "Hey, where you going?" he asks. I freeze and try to think of an excuse.

  "I'm going to check on the animals that we have, because we have animals that I need to check on and feed," I smile and silently curse myself for my terrible excuse, "Yeah, that is what I'm doing."

  "Umm, okay, I didn't see any animals when I came, so unless they're invisible, what are you really doing?" John asks.

  I sigh and say "You got me, I'm going out into the woods to have some alone, quiet, time." He seems to believe it.

  "Have fun," he sighs. I feel a little guilty for lying to him, after all, he used to be one of my best friends. Not any more. John seems disappointed, I don't know what of, but disappointed.

   "Goodbye" I said for hopefully the last time. I silently slip across the dance floor and out the front door without further interruptions.

    I turn around and take one last long look at my childhood home. I feel like I'm about to cry, I have a very good reason, I am leaving everything that I've ever known. It's raining and I'm standing there, just wanting to run back in my old home, and see that everything is back to the way it used to be, wishing that Stella would be in there knocking tables over and shattering all of the vases, Mom rocking back and forth in her old rocking chair reading a book, or playing my favorite song, and Dad standing by the door ready to scare me the moment I walk into the house, but that's gone, this isn't my home anymore. I silently say goodbye and turn around and run into the woods, never planning to come back here.

-----------------------------------------

Author's Note:

  Hey if you read this book, can you guess what happens next?