Chapter 8

I freeze as my father says those words. "What is it daddy?" I ask.

"Well, me and you mother thought it would be best to get you this so you can keep in touch with your friends and boyfriend and we can keep up with you."

"Get me what?" I ask.

My father doesn't say anything, but holds out a small rectangular box.

I grab the box and sit down on the couch squished between my parents. After slipping the lid off, I stare at the contents of the box. "Oh my gosh. Is this really for me?"

"Yes." they both say together.

I drop the box in my lap as I pull out the pitch black cellphone on the inside. "Thank you mom and daddy."

"You're welcome sweetie." my mother replies.

"You're welcome." my father replies as well.

We sit in silence for a couple minutes before I speak up. "My new friend Raven wants me to go to the movies with her today, is that okay?" I ask, hoping they say no.

"Of course it's okay. Is Wyatt joining you?" my father presses.

"No, Raven wanted to have a girls night tonight."

"Oh okay. Well, have fun then." My father smiles at me.

I take my phone up to my room and plug it in. Once it has a good charge, I set up my information on it.

I hear the doorbell ring and my father answers it.

"Dakota!" my father calls out.  "It's your friend."

"Coming!" I shout back. I grab my new phone off the charger. I walk down the stairs and to the front door. "Hey Raven."

"Hey Dakota. Ready to go?"

"Yerp." I follow her out to her car. It is a convertible. "This is your car?"

"Yup, all mine."

"I didn't know you were old enough to drive."

"How old did you think I was?" she steps into the car and starts it up.

"Fourteen, like me." I step into the car after her.

"You're fourteen?"

"Yes. Why do you sound surprised?"

"I thought you were older since you're dating Wyatt. I've never seen him date someone so young before." she pulls out onto the street.

"How old is Wyatt?" I ask. He never told me how old he is so I am confused.

"Sixteen, like me." Raven says simply.

"You're both sixteen?"

"Don't believe me?"

"No I believe you. I'm just confused on why one sixteen year old wanted to date me and the other wants to go to the movies with me."

"Wyatt likes you because you're cute and easy. I like you because you're pretty cool."

"Thanks Raven." I say.

We pull into a parking spot at the movies and get out of the car.

"What movie do you want to watch?" I ask Raven.

"Something with loads of blood." she states with an evil grin.

"I'm down." I say as I follow her into the movie theater.

When we get to the front of the ticket booth, Raven tells the man there what movie we would like to see.

"Oh you're seeing that movie? What a coincidence, so are we."