01 | pilot

"The sweetest pleasures are those which are hardest to be won."
- Giacomo Casanova -

[ O N E ]
▬▬▬▬ ◦❁◦ ▬▬▬▬

THE MOST MEMORABLE DAY of my life began just like any other. I was sitting in the passenger seat of my mom's SUV as she drove me to school, with my forehead pressed against the window, staring mindlessly at the New York suburbs that passed in a blur of color.

Mom pulled up into the parking lot in front of the school at 7:48, and unlocked the car door.

"I love you, honey!" she said as I got out. The corners of her eyes crinkled as she smiled.

"I love you too, Mom."

"Call me when drama class is over. Be good, okay?"

I rolled my eyes, but nodded. When have I not been good? If I was going to have a kid, I would probably ask for one exactly like me - and I'm not even bragging or anything. It's just because you wouldn't have to ever worry about them getting into any sort of trouble.

Or doing anything interesting, for that matter.

"Have fun!" she called out through a rolled-down window as I walked away.

Eastwood High School was a secondary school conveniently placed right in the middle of an uber-rich neighborhood. It was a big school, so big in fact I continued to get lost in the labyrinth of hallways up until my sophomore year.

The first place I head to is the cafeteria, which is usually where I meet my friends before classes start. The moment I opened the doors, Naomi Greene had already spotted me, and was striding over to my direction while flashing her perfectly-white smile.

Tall and slender. Clear blue eyes. Collarbones that made you realize how important collarbones actually are.

"Willow!" she said excitedly, quickening her pace. "Oh my God. You will not believe what just happened."

"What happened?"

"GABRIEL MULLER ASKED ME OUT ON A DATE!" she squealed, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me vigorously. I thought my head would fall off my neck. "Remember how I told you that I thought he like me, at the beginning of the year? Well I guess I was right."

I did not believe that just happened. "Did you say anything?"

"I said yes! Can you believe it?" she exclaimed, her toothy grin only broadening.

I can't believe it.

Out of everyone in this school who has ever asked her out, she chose Gabriel Muller. An awkward and lanky junior with a buzz-cut and freckles. I knew that she wasn't the shallow type, but it surprised me nonetheless.

I've never really talked to Gabriel, but I believe I've made eye contact with him once in the hallway. Now that I think about it, he did have nice eyes. Eyes that couldn't decide whether they were going to be blue or green.

"Are you serious? Good for you!" I said halfheartedly.

She ran her fingers through her curly brown hair. "Mmhmm. He's super nice. And downright edible. We're heading to this fancy Italian restaurant tonight. I think it was called'La Casa di Sera' or something. Whatever. Anything going on for you?"

I scoffed.

"Come on, Willow," Naomi laughed. "Junior Prom is coming up in two months. Aren't you excited?"

"Well, that's easy for you to say. I seriously doubt anyone is going to ask me. I might as well just not go-"

"GUYS," interrupted a voice behind me. "It's Junior Prom. That's almost as cute as Kindergarten graduation."