06 | best of both worlds

"A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
- Bruce Lee -

[ S I X ]
▬▬▬▬ ◦❁◦ ▬▬▬▬

WHAT HAPPENED TO 'I hate people like Tatiana'? What happened to him disliking the kids who were all 'bourgeois and bored'? I wanted to run after her stupid car and smack them both across the face.

"Are you okay?" asked Eli, innocently. He'd have to be stupid to not tell that I was clearly not okay.

"Yeah!" I exasperated, throwing my hands up in the air. "Everything is just perfect right now. Perfect."

He just kind of stared at me weirdly. "Are you sure?"

"Obviously," I snorted. "Actually, you know what? We should totally go to that party tomorrow, don't you think?"

It wasn't me who was talking. I was so possessed by my anger that I had started to say things I would've usually never even thought of. Or was it... Jealousy?

No, it was anger. Cade was a liar. He was superficial.

"Party on a Tuesday night?" he confirmed. "I don't think you should go."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Eli shrugged and looked away. "You might ruin your perfect attendance streak."

I gasped. How did he know about my perfect attendance streak? It wasn't like I was proud of it - I mean, it's kind of embarrassing - but I've kept up my attendance for four years and I didn't really want to lose it either.

"Who cares?" I lied.

"Okay." he said sarcastically.

"Okay what?"

"I'm picking you up at seven."

I sat in the kitchen with my arms crossed, waiting for Cade to ring that forsaken doorbell. Call me crazy, but he was a liar and a player, so I couldn't just let that slide.

"Are you just going to sit there?" my mom asked, as she pulled out a tray of burnt cookies from the oven.

"Yup," I said, popping the 'p'.

"Fine," she shrugged, placing the batch on the kitchen island. "I'm going to go upstairs. But don't stay there too long. You have homework. I don't want you complaining about not having enough time again."

"Okay."

Her footsteps faded off, and the doorbell rang.

That was my cue.

"What the hell?" I exclaimed as I threw open the front door. Cade stood there with his hair tousled and an unlit cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth.

"Hey," he said and pushed right past me.

"Where do you think you're going?" my hand wrapped around his upper arm, and he turned around to look at me - as if annoyed.