Chapter 6 - Pappy's Smokehouse has Killer Pigs

Chapter 6

Pappy's Smokehouse has Killer Pigs

"Why don't you like St. Louis?" Tucker asked quietly. I took a sharp intake of breath, staring at his green eyes. I was about to respond when I smelled barbecue.

"Where are we?" I asked. I smelled ribs, and meat, and meat meat meat meat meat. How many times have I mentioned meat? You get the point, I guess.

"Pappy's Smokehouse. This is where I met Jacob." When he said Jacob's name, a slow blush creeped along my cheeks. Tucker grinned, patting my head. I cursed, because the fact that he was a head taller than me made me feel weak.

"You like him, don't you?" he smirked.

"What? No! No, why would I ever like that--that player?!" I gaped at Tucker, and he laughed again, louder this time. 

Suddenly, his jaw tightened, and his arm around my shoulder slid down to my waist, not letting me escape. I started poking his side, and then I turned to see what he was looking at. A guy our age was stepping closer to me.

"Hey, Tucker, man, who's the babe?" he gave me a grin, and in my head I started to panic. This guy was getting too close for comfort.

"This is my new friend, Claire. Now, if you don't mind us going, Chase, I'll see you later." Then, Tucker quickly led me away so we could stand in the long line for food.

"First question: Who was that?"

"Chase Bradford. He's bigger player than Jacob...if I wasn't here, he probably would've tried to make a move on you," Tucker said, a frown on his face. I gaped, wiping the sweat from my forehead.

"Oh...Jesus.....second question: Why is the line so long? It's out the door!"

"Yeah, well, Pappy's has the best ribs and burnt ends in the whole city. It's busy from morning to night, so yeah. Big line, lot's of people. Heather works here, you know."

"Oh...cool." We were quickly moving through the line, and soon we were inside. I gasped at the amount of people. There weren't many tables, and it was too crowded. In fact, the line was going through the isle between the tables! Along the walls were medals and certificates and awards for 'Best Ribs'. I almost gagged when I saw pictures of men next to dead pigs. Then, when Tucker was ordering, I fell. Literally, fell. On a pig.

"Oh my God, Claire, pose for Jacob!" Tucker snapped a picture of me sitting on the pig with a frown on my face.

"What, no!!!!!" Tucker, stop!!!" I lunged at him, but he quickly moved away. Curse his quick reflexes. But instead of falling face-first on the floor, someone caught me. 

Jacob.