Chapter 3

"You'll have to stay outside ma'm," the nurse informed stopping me and went inside the room.

            I stood there blank, looking at the door, as the bulb above it turned red.

             I took a step ahead trying to look inside the emergency room to find out what was happening, but failed. I couldn't see anything as the curtains blocked the view.

                 My gaze fell on my hand that was resting on the handle of the door. It was covered in blood, Jacob's blood.

When I looked down at myself, I saw that top was drenched in his blood too. It reminded me of the moment when I realised that he had taken the bullet on himself to save me from being shot.

         I remembered how he held my hand tightly while he was lying on the grass.

         I didn't realise that I had started crying when I recollected what happened few moments ago.

I reached for the chair in the passage that was meant for the visitors to wait. I buried my head in my hands and cried until I realised that I had to inform someone.

His family. I have to inform them.

I quickly reached for my phone in my pocket and called his mother.

After two rings, Mrs. William answered.

"Hello, thank god you called back! Jacob.. where have you been? I have been trying call you, all of them went to the voicemail," I heard Mrs.William say in her usual caring tone as she picked up the phone.

"Hello.." I started, while controlling myself from breaking down again.

"Eva..? Is that you?" she asked in shock as she recognised my voice.

           Tears rolled down my eyes. My throat was choked and I couldn't speak anything.

"Oh dear. How have you been? It has been so long. Are with Jacob right now?" she asked.

"Mrs. William.. I have to tell you something..."

●●●

"Oh my goodness, Eva?" I heard a feminine voice and felt a hand on my shoulder.

           I looked above to see Mr. and Mrs. William standing in front of me.

Mr. William went towards the reception and Mrs. William sat beside me on the chair.

"Eva. He'll be alright," she said and pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back as I broke down into her arms.

           She was a strong woman. Loving and caring mother. I had met her multiple times when Jacob took me to his house. Her son was there lying in the operation theatre, and here she was comforting me.

"This is all because of me," I said between my sobs when I pulled apart.

"No dear. Don't blame yourself. He is very strong. He will be fine, don't cry." she said in soft tone and wiped my tears with her thumb and I nodded.

I knew she was worried. She was on the verge of tears too, but she was holding it inside.

Mr. William returned and stood in front of us with some papers in his hand.

"Eva, you will need to give some statements to the cops," Mr. William said softly and I nodded.

He patted my head twice and sighed.

"Marina, I'll be back," he told Mrs. William before leaving.

  "How long has it been since he was brought here?" Mrs.William asked.

"An hour and a half maybe," I said.

"He'll be fine," she said and gave my hand a light squeeze.

            I had been more than 2 hours since we were waiting, we had no clue about what was happening inside.

Everytime the nurse came out with the tray of cotton covered in blood, I would break down into tears.

We asked the nurse couple of times about what was happening, but she never answered.

Oh god...

Please let him be okay..

Please don't let anything happen to him..

I was praying every second and every minute that was passing.

"Eva? You should go and clean yourself," Mrs. William said softly stroking my hair.

And I realised that I was still covered in blood.

I nodded.

         I went to the restroom and placed my blood stained hands under the running water. I watched the water turn red as it passed through my hands. This feeling was overwhelming. I had no energy left in me.

         After I had cleaned my hands, I looked myself in the mirror in front of me.

My skin looked pale, my cheeks were stained with tears and my eyes were red. My hair was all over the place. I took all my hair and pulled them into a bun above my head. I splashed some cold water on my face and rubbed my eyes.

Grabbing some tissues, I wiped my face and walked out of the rest room with my hands folded against my chest.

          My head was thumping with pain, I felt weak. If I didn't have the urge to know about Jacob right now, I'd be lying unconscious on the floor, as my knees were ready to give up any moment.

I saw Mrs. William talking to the doctor when I reached near the emergency room again.

I looked at the red bulb above the door of the room. It was now off, indicating that the operation was over.

I rushed in their direction, but stopped just some feet away from them.

Was I ready to hear what he was going to say?

What if they couldn't save him..

What if he didn't make it..

What if Jacob was..

No..

No..

"Eva!" Mrs. William exclaimed as she spotted me standing there.

She walked upto me and stood in front of me and held my shoulders.

Please tell me Jacob is okay..

Please..

I shut my eyes, in an attempt to hold back the tears.

"Eva?" she started and there was pause as she took in a deep breathe.

"He made it Eva. He made it. Jacob is fine," she said pulling me into a hug.

●●●

Please Vote and Comment.❤❤