Chapter 5 - What If?

Later that evening, Fergal's aunt came home from work. I told her about how I couldn't find Fergal earlier in the day and how I had to run outside to find he and the boys. I immediately regretted telling his aunt because she became very angry. She screamed Fergal's name and he came flying down the stairs, running into the kitchen where she and I sat. "What happened?" He asked, out of breath. He looked at me, noticing how calm I was, and I saw him relax a bit. However, when he locked eyes with his aunt, he knew he was in trouble. "Did you go outside today without permission?" She shouted. I internally laughed, realizing that this sounded like a mother yelling at her young son. "Yeah, the boys and I just went around back to check out the storm cellar!" he replied, motioning to the backyard. His aunt stood up and pushed her chair in. I could tell she was pissed off. "None of you are allowed outdoors without my permission! And you will not be allowed out there unless it is dark outside. Am I clear?" She asked. Fergal nodded, knowing the seriousness of the possibility of someone recognizing our faces. His aunt stormed off to her room, leaving us alone. There was an awkward silence for a moment before I stood up, announcing that I was headed to bed. Fergal followed behind me.

* The Next Day*

I woke up with Fergal's arm wrapped around my waist. I smiled, wishing our lives were this simple all of the time. I stared at his beautiful face, trying to imagine him as a baby. I hoped our beautiful little baby would look like their incredible father. Their father was indeed the most amazing man in the world.... as long as he didn't channel his "inner demon". Fergal had told me stories before about Balor, the demon in Irish folklore. He also had told me stories about Finn MacCool, the warrior within Irish folklore. I liked to think that the nerdy side of Fergal was like Finn, whereas the side of him that Drew and Chad bring out are like Balor. I sat there for a moment, pondering on how we got into this mess. I could remember it like it was yesterday, Fergal and I were asleep on the couch when I had awoken to a bang! Fergal and I were startled, as two tattooed, bald men had just broken down our front door. I screamed in horror, as I clung to Fergal. I remembered the confusion I felt as I held onto him, only to hear him cackle. I had looked at him like he was crazy. The smaller of the two men spoke up, "Ferg! We got it!" he winked. Fergal smirked and jumped up, wanting to see for himself. What on earth was that man talking about and how did he know my man? I watched in horror as Fergal walked over to the men, fist-bumping them. The taller man was holding a small box. Fergal opened it up, revealing a hell of a lot of cash. Did they rob a bank? Surely not. Fergal would never associate himself with crooks. Fergal admired the cash until the taller man spoke, "Who's the chick?" Fergal looked back at me, "That's my girlfriend, Riley," he said, more interested in the money than introducing me. The two bald men looked at each other, then at me, then back at one another. The smaller man walked over to me, leaning in really close to me. "I don't know you and you don't know us," he began to say, "but I know one thing.... You saw nothing!" he shouted. I just nodded, scared to death. "Baby girl, you have no idea what you just got yourself into," Fergal smirked, pulling out a gun that I never knew he owned. Maybe that was because he had stolen it? Who knows. Fergal extended his hand to me, and I hesitated briefly before taking his hand. The three men walked me to their van, before shoving me and some other equipment in the back. The shorter of the bald men hopped in the front seat, driving us to somewhere unknown.

"I'm Chad, by the way!" he called, introducing himself. The taller of the two sat beside me in the back of the van, "I'm Drew," he said, taking a sip of a beer he had in the van. I looked over to Fergal who was in the back with Drew and I. "What's going on?" I asked, my voice full of fear. Fergal shook his head before replying, "Making a living." Before today, Fergal had been telling me his dream was to be a wrestler. Not a criminal! I worriedly watched Chad drive the van at a fast speed into the darkness. "Buckle up, babycakes, we're headed somewhere far, far away," Drew said to me, passing Fergal a beer. What in the hell had gotten into my nerdy Fergie? "Riley?!?!" I heard Fergal's voice shout. I realized this was actually Fergal talking to me, not my memory.

I shook myself back to reality, "Huh?" I questioned Fergal. "Your nose is bleeding, hun," he said, quickly getting up and sprinting to the bathroom, getting me tissues to wipe up my mess. "Are you okay?" He asked, "You seem.... off?" he questioned me. I just nodded. What the hell was I doing with my life?