Ch.4| Court Is In Session

After a while of getting used to the guys, talking to the came normally. I was open with them and came to trust them.

And now the big day was here.

"Court is now in session."

I sat down at the table with my district attorney, Leona Leyland. She was a lady with long blonde hair and stunning blue eyes hiding behind a pair of hipster business glasses.

"We are gathered here for the case of sixteen year old Sang Sorenson, who allegedly killed her parents, and her sister, Marie Sorenson, and was found guilty of all charges of third degree murder."

I flinched. Ouch, that really hurt. Could you be anymore blunt?

"After discussions of Miss Sorenson being mentally ill, her case was given to a repeal court, since her original sentence was death by lethal injection. The sentence was changed to be eight years at St. Augustine's Hospital or parole if a responsible family with correct training could handle her. We are now in discussion of parole."

I was nervous. What if they reject the petition for the parole? What if they change my sentence back to the original way-

"Calm down Sang," Leona's smooth voice said. "You're okay. You're going to have a good ending. You're not going back. Okay?"

I nodded. "Okay. Thanks Leona."

The other lawyer represented my extended family, the ones who were against me now for murder, and the victims of my killing spree.

Tears sprung to my eyes as I thought of it.

I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry. I took away three lives. Lives that were so far from over.

"We now call Owen Blackbourne to the stand." The judge announced.

Well, of course he's in formal clothing. He does that every time he comes to see me, but the others are more laidback.

"Do you promise to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth or so help you God?"

"I do." He replied.

"So Owen, do you mind if I call you Owen?"

"I prefer Mr. Blackbourne," he responded.

"Mr. Blackbourne when you first met Sang, did the lady at the front desk say anything?"

"Yes she did."

"What did the lady say?" The lawyer asked.

I clenched my fist. He wants me dead! I swear it on my grave... the one I'm supposed to be in right now.

"She told me not to talk to the girl in the last cell. She said I wouldn't want to and that it's confusing." Mr. Blackbourne answered truthfully.

"Sang," Leona said. "Calm down."

I took deep breaths.

I will not snap. I will not snap.

"And so did you talk to the girl in the last cell, that girl that happened to be Sang Sorenson, a psychotic murderer that should be executed?" The lawyer asked smugly.

"Objection!" Leona called. "Your Honor, I consider it highly inappropriate to call my client a psychotic murderer. Her mental illness is not on trial. And his opinion of execution is purely that, a selfish, personal, illogical opinion. It is not based upon fact nor is it deemed appropriate for this manner at hand!"

"Sustained," Judge Carson said, pounding his gavel. "Mr. Sunderland, when stating your questions, please refrain from using your own person opinions."

"Yes I did talk to Miss Sorenson." Mr. Blackbourne said. "There really is no words to say how I felt after our first encounter. I guess I felt the need to help her, I guess."

I sighed. This court meeting was going to last hours or days.
-
"The jury has decided," announced Judge Carson.

I held my breath. What was going to be the outcome?