Chapter 4

I was amazed at what Crane has been telling me. I'm surprised that he's so willing to just tell me this stuff, it seems to be pretty important information.

"And what do souls look like?"
I asked him.

"This'll be easier if I just show you something,"
He said grabbing my wrist and taking me to a safe like room. He entered a passcode and the door slowly opened.

"This is the soul vault,"
He said. I looked around, the room was this long hallway that turned into a basement, all the walls were shelves with jars that each had these odd flame like orbs, all of them were a variety of color. Since the magic seemed to be the color of the eyes, I guessed each soul was the same color as well.

"Why are all of these here?"

"When we die, our souls come here in there respective jars. Each Kingdom has one,"

"That's...... Dark,"

"Well, if you really think about it, they're safe here. If they never show up that means someone absorbed it..... Giving them that persons power......."

He stopped for a second.

"But that's against the law, so no souls have been missing. All empty jars are people who are still alive,"
Crane said grabbing my hand again and leading me out. His stubby fluff of a tail was flicking fast.

To be honest it was kinda cute.

He took us back to the main lab and sat down in his chair, and continued what he had been doing before I interrupted him.
'I guess those are the only questions I'll get answers for from him today,'

I went back over to Duck to see what he was doing on that computer. It looked like he was checking security cams, or spying on someone. It looked like it was live footage of Hazel and someone I don't know talking to each other. There wasn't any sound, but I saw Duck was reading the subtitles.
"What are you doing?"

He jumped a little and immediately turned off the screen. He turned and looked at me furiously.

"Don't sneak up on people like that!"
He hissed.

"Well I'm sorry sir eavesdrops a lot,"

He growled at me before responding.
"I was bored okay?!"
He retorted with a flick of his ear.

"Ok, then who was Hazel talking to?"

He was silent for a few seconds.
"No one important in my opinion,"

"Ok, fine. Be that way,"
I said walking away towards Crane again.

"Anything I can do to be useful?"

Crane nodded.

"Could you put these in that file cabinet alphabetically for me?"

"Yeah,"
I said taking the papers that he gave me and headed over to the cabinet that he pointed to.

It's been a few hours now, and I've helped Crane with a few things before Duck walked up to me.

"Time to go,"
He meowed and turned walking towards the exit of the building. I followed soon after I said goodbye to Crane.

Duck wasn't heading the direction we came, but instead was heading to the castle.
"Where are we going?"
"I'm going to the gardens, you can do whatever ya want. I don't care what it is,"
He growled walking away from me.

I slowed to a stop and looked around.
'What does he expect me to do?'
I thought, then settled for seeing if Hazel was busy.

I entered the castle and headed for Hazel's room. Hopefully I can remember where it is.