Chapter 2 - The Charade

The kitchen was bright despite the darkness outside, light reflecting off of white countertops and stainless steel appliances. Julian was facing the stove, cooking what looked like a grilled cheese when he heard them come in.

"Hey Ty, your sandwich is almost ready," He didn't turn around, just called over his shoulder, his voice giving no indication that he had been upset before.

"Thanks, do you mind making Emma one too? She was upstairs. And I'm sure Kit didn't eat either, I'm sure I would have woken up if he came out of his room." Ty had been sitting outside Kit's room listening to music. He felt bad for the boy who had just seen his father ripped in half, and wanted to keep a lookout for him like Julian had done for him when he had seen his father killed, despite the fact that it was Julian who killed him. At the time he had been furious with his older brother, but now that he was older and knew more about the Dark War and what Sebastian's forces had really been, he grew to understand. Regardless, no matter how angry Ty was, Julian was there for him and so he said he would do the same for the scared blonde boy now staying with them, "I can bring a sandwich up to him too."

At Emma's name, Julian flinched slightly, no one but her would have noticed, but she knew him well enough to see it. But as if nothing had happened, he turned with a smile, "Sure, what did you want Emma?" Although she wasn't as good of a liar as he was, she played along as if everything was fine.

"A grilled cheese is fine by me." She pulled one of the barstools at the island around and sat up on it, looking out the window at the sea. Ty had gotten his sandwich from Julian and sat down at the table with his headphones in.

"With provolone cheese I presume?" Julian was smiling a sad smile at her now that his little brother wasn't paying attention. It almost pained her how well he knew her; all of her favorite meals, favorite songs, how to help her fall asleep, how she liked hot chocolate instead of coffee and tea instead of lemonade. And she knew everything about him in return. She didn't think you could get closer to a person and she almost ached for things to go back the way they were before that night on the beach. Almost.

"So, have you seen Cristina tonight?" He continued, trying to make small talk. It was awkward, and nothing was ever awkward between her and Julian. He had finished another one of the sandwiches and set it on a plate for Ty to give to Kit, who promptly grabbed it and trotted upstairs saying bye as he left, leaving her and Julian alone in the kitchen.

"No, I think it's safe to assume her and Perfect Diego are canoodling in their room." He chuckled at her as he began preparing another sandwich.

"Canoodling? Is that what you're calling it?"

"Well I can think of some other words but I don't think I should say them just in case the kids are around." Relief was slowly flooding her as their casual banter continued, as if nothing had changed. Absentmindedly, she began braiding her hair to the side, letting it fall down just above her waist.

"Hard to believe some of those kids are so old now. Ty and Livvy are 15 now. That's only a year younger than Jace and Clary were when they saved the world. Someone told me I would have to let them go soon, and I know it's true, but it's still hard to think about." His voice had taken on a more somber tone, the joking that occurred a moment before fading out.

"Of course it's hard, you practically raised them-"

"We practically raised them. Emma, you have been there for them too. And no matter what happens, I'm grateful for that. I just wanted you to know that." He turned and set her sandwich on the counter in front of her, his face clearly displaying his exhaustion. She knew she had to tell him about Mark, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Not now. Instead she met his eyes with grief.