Chapter 16 - Shatter Your Soul

Woo! Long Chapter - Sorry my updating had been very delayed, I'm very busy at school but I will get them posted as quickly and often as I can. Thank you all for being so dedicated!

After some healing runes, the pain in Emma's head and body began to ease away. Mark was gracious enough to apply the runes while Julian, Jace and Clary swept the room for any sight of Emma's weapons or Annabel. Jace picked up a long object from the floor with a smile and turned to Emma.

"Almost lost this, I see," He smiled as he handed the stele back to Emma. The stele he had given her when she was only 12, "I am surprised you still have this." A rush of red flooded her cheeks as she took it back. She had a crush on Jace when she was 12 and he gave her his stele then. Although the crush had faded, she still looked up to him and aspired to be as good a shadowhunter as he was. And although the crush was gone, his gold eyes still pierced her and gave her goosebumps.

"I've held on to it all this time, thanks." And she took it with a nod.

"We need to head out, I don't want the Institute unprotected with a crazy undead woman roaming about." Julian chimed in, moving towards the entrance of the Convergence. He was right, so they all followed him out and made their way back to the car.

The sun was rising slowly over the horizon, bathing the world in soft oranges and blues. Julian sped home as the rest of them gripped the sides of the car.

"Damn, Julian. Make sure we get there alive, maybe?" Emma laughed as he took a curve so fast the car seemed to tilt in one direction. Jace just laughed and she looked back to see Clary with a death grip on Jace and Mark's arms on either side of her. Careening up the driveway, Julian pulled the car to a stop and they all hopped out. They had made it to the bottom of the stairs when a flash of purple light flared up behind them.

"Clary Fairchild and Jace Herondale," A voice sounded and they turned around to see Jia Penhallow in her purple Consul robes, two Silent brothers flanking her on either side, "You summoned me here?" Her dark eyes scanned the group of them, stopping on Emma. Only then did she realize how bad she must have looked; her hair was drying in tangles, her black jeans and white tank tattered and soaked in blood.

"Consul, thank you so much for coming. There are matters we need to speak to you about," Clary had looked startled at first, but she made her way down to stand before her now with Jace while Mark went inside to get Cristina and the younger Blackthorns.

"I see you found Emma Carstairs," She directed her gaze to Emma, not harshly, "Are you alright, sweetheart?" Emma's throat was closed up with nerves, but she managed a nod. "Good, now would be a good time to fill me in, what is this we hear of necromancy?"

"When I had sent the fire message, we had no proof. Now we do." Clary continued on. Jia raised her eyebrows in concern.

"Pardon me for asking Clary, but what proof can you provide the Clave? It is very rare for necromancy to be successful and we need elicit proof." Her voice was soft and you could immediately tell she was fond of the short red-haired woman. Clary opened her mouth to respond when she was cut off abruptly.

"I can vouch for them, it has been something we have been investigating. Malcolm Fade succeeded. He has raised Annabel Blackthorn from the dead." Diana had stepped outside and was walking quickly down the stairs.

"Diana Wrayburn, we have not heard from you lately. Care to explain where you have been and how you know about all of this?" Jia responded coolly. She was right, Diana had been gone for the past 2 weeks, which was not entirely out of character for her, but it did not explain how she knew all of this.

"I have been contacting those in the Scholomance about the murders and have been doing research on it. I was suspicious about Malcolm's spell and have been following the trail of murders. I did not know that those here at the Institute were also investigating or I would have helped. They had just gone through such a hard time, I didn't want to involve them if I could do something about it, unfortunately I failed. But I can assure you Clary is telling the truth." Diana explained resolutely.