Chapter 11 - Pieces of a Puzzle

"Cristina! Help!" Mark's voice called from just outside the door of the kitchen, she threw the mixing spoon down and whirled around, Mark moving into sight. His voice was muffled and now Cristina knew why; Tavvy was wrapped around his head giggling. Her heart slowed, realizing there was no real danger, with the exception of Mark being smothered by a 7 year old.

"Tavvy, Mark can't breathe if you're on his face." With a laugh, she reached up and grabbed Tavvy, swinging him down into her arms. She couldn't suppress her laughter as Mark regained his composure, his hair in disarray and his eyes wide. "And to think you were once a feared member of the Wild Hunt." Cristina mocked him lightheartedly.

"Well 7 year olds are entirely different. Very unpredictable." He was laughing now too and he made his way over to the pot that Cristina was stirring, "You're making pasta? Where is Julian, he usually makes dinner." His tone was not accusatory, just inquisitive.

"Julian works too hard, he needs a break sometimes," She set Tavvy down and playfully shoved Mark aside so she could continue stirring the pot. By the look on his face though, she could tell he knew there was more to it, "And he and Emma went to New York."

"New York? For what possible reason?" Mark sounded exasperated, she assumed he was angry to be left out.

"They're going to the New York Institute. Julian said they are asking Jace and Clary if they can help us solve this riddle before any other people turn up dead. So far, Diego has said nothing about any dead bodies today." She spoke lightheartedly, as if making a joke, but Mark was stuck on the mention of Diego.

"Speaking of horrible handsome men-"

"Do you mean horribly handsome?" Cristina cut in, genuinely curious.

"No," Mark continued, not caring to elaborate, "Are you and him resuming relations now that he has returned, or?" His tone was gentle, his eyes fixed on her as if she were a beautiful sunset or a delicate flower.

"Resuming relations?" She laughed at the formality of his tone, "As of now, no we are not," He moved towards her, brushing the back of his hand gently against her cheek, She let herself close her eyes and revel in the wonder of his touch, her skin fluttering under his hand. Then a cold feeling spread in her stomach as a horrible realization dawned on her and she froze in place, "Not like you have any room to speak, dating Emma and all. Who happens to be my best friend." She pulled away from him and returned her attention to the dinner.

At that Mark let a loud laugh break out, "By the Angel, Emma? That's-" He paused, realizing what a horrible job he was doing at helping Emma with her favor, "It's rather complicated actually." Cristina turned back at that, her eyes focusing steadily on him causing red to flush his cheeks.

"Mark? What are you talking about? Emma is my best friend, you better not be using her or some-" Mark cut her off and put his hands gently on her shoulder, the rigidity in them fading slowly under his touch.

"I'm not, I promise I'm not! I care for Emma, I really do, but-" His gaze went to the floor, urging himself to keep his mouth shut, to keep the secret. But he was so close to Cristina, he couldn't stand giving her up again, "It's not- it's not real."

Cristina blinked, "Not real? What isn't real?"

"Our relationship, it's- well really it's for Emma. I'm doing her a favor." He winced at the words, knowing his explanation wasn't making sense, but he couldn't betray Emma's trust any more than he already had either. It wasn't a lie when he said he cared for her, he cared for her like a sister. The way Julian should care for her.

"I don't understand, Mark, why would Emma want to fake a relationship?" She was looking down now, her finger tapping her lips as if she was putting the pieces of a puzzle together, her voice now a murmur, "I thought she was dating you to get over him, but if it's not real?"

"Wait, what? Get over him?" Mark cut in, causing her to freeze in fear as if she had no intention of letting that information slip out.

"I- I uh-" She stumbled over her words, not knowing what to say when a smile broke out on his face.

"You know! You know about her and Julian?!" His voice was a hushed whisper, the words urgently falling from his lips.

"I- How do you know?!" Cristina was looking at him incredulously as if he had sprouted three heads.

"I walked in on them doing some things not mentioned in the terms of being parabatai." He smirked but Cristina looked like anger was building up behind her chocolate eyes.

"When?"

"Well, I believe it was Tuesday? Or maybe Wednesday, it was the other day I know-"

"Are you serious?!" Cristina's fists were balled up at her sides now, her eyes full of hurt now rather than the fury he thought was building.

"Well, yes I am serious. I have no reason to joke-"

"It's a figure of speech, Mark. You should really talk to Ty about those, he can explain them to you. So that still doesn't explain why you're lying about being in a relationship with her." She had pulled over one of the stools from the island and was now perched on it as she looked to Mark for an explanation.

Mark was sitting on a stool, explaining almost everything- how it had started of her asking him without telling him why, then him discovering them and her explaining how she wanted to convince Julian that she didn't love him anymore, and now with them using Mark as a diversion. He was sure to keep his voice down as to not let anyone overhear it, but there was no one around. Cristina listened intently, her face a mask hiding any reaction or change in emotion. After he finished, she sat in silence, eyes downturned. A thought flickered in the back of his mind and he didn't want to let the moment pass. He placed a finger under her chin up to his face.

"Cristina, tell me what is upsetting you?"

"It's- It's Emma. I love her like she were my sister, and I'm worried for her. I don't know how much of Shadowhunter Law you remember, but this is a big one. The Clave could strip them of their marks and separate them. Shadowhunting and Julian are two integral parts of who Emma is and if either of those things were to be taken away from her," She trailed off, lacing her fingers together in her lap, "I don't think she would ever come back from that."

"I promised them I would help them find a way, find a way to fix this. I don't know how yet, but I owe Julian the world for taking care of my family. Our family. Without him, there is no doubt the children would not be who they are today. He has given so much of himself for them, he deserves happiness. It whatever form it comes." Mark was almost lost in thought, his hand slowly cupping her face, eyes full of dreamlike wonder.

"Mark," Her tone was almost a warning, but it faltered. His blue and gold eyes were locked on her and she couldn't look away.

"You told me once that you do not want a body without a heart," He leaned in closer, everything in her mind told her to back away but her body did not respond, "But what of a heart without a body? I will give my heart to you, it has belonged to you since you had told me the parts of your soul you do not share with everyone. However," He pulled back hesitantly and dropped his hand, "I cannot risk letting Emma and Julian down and if I were to be caught with you, it would reveal too much." Cristina's stomach clenched, he was telling her that he wanted her and her alone. Not because of her looks, or strength, but because of her soul as well. And yet she knew as well as he that they would have to wait. Part of her thought of Diego, of how he would react to her telling him they couldn't be together. But she still was unsure of Diego, he was part of her past. And when she thought of her future, he was not in it; Mark and the Blackthorns were. Wordlessly, she gently stroked the side of his face with the back of her hand, his eyes closing at the tender touch.

With a weak smile she whispered, "In time, Mark Blackthorn." The shrilling tone of her phone ring broke through the tension, and looking down at the screen, she saw a text from Perfect Diego: There is another one. Meet me by the Pier.