Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I pulled on the hem of my sleeve, feeling odd in the outfit I wore. Alice thought it best for me to dress in... well... a dress. Something that I rarely wore and really, being the mate of three men made the feeling even worse. But I was very grateful for Alice when it came to my shoes. I wasn't known to have the best balance, something Bella and I shared when she was human. So the flats on my feet made the outfit feel a bit better. Though not much.

"It looks good on you," Alice beamed at me as I stared into the mirror. It was a black dress that flowed from my waist but accentuated my waist. The sleeves were lace and lace covered my chest as well, though you could still see my skin underneath. Even the small bit of cleavage that she thought imperative to show.

"A-Alice, this is a bit much," I flinched at my stutter, giving her wide eyes. She had also styled my hair, pinning much of it to one side of my head in order to expose my neck. Something that she thought would rile up my mates. It had a few jewels in it, giving a soft shine in the low light of the room. My make-up was light, showing more of my natural features.

"The Volturi appreciate fashion, Ells. And more formal wear so no, it's not," Alice gave a sheepish grin, linking her arm with mine. I sighed, knowing that I wasn't going to get out of this outfit.

"Okay," I muttered before following her out of the room. We made our way through the corridors in silence, my eyes taking in the medieval looks to the inside of this place. It oddly felt like I was in a different time, betrothed to the king of the land. And even though it frightened me, it was oddly exhilarating.

We turned down another corridor, unfamiliar from the one we had just come from. At first, I thought she was trying to get me out of here. Instead, I found myself approaching another set of doors, wooden this time. At our approach, the doors opened to reveal our forms to the few inside. And to the vampires sitting in their thrones with the looks of impatience.

"Ah, Alessandra, you have finally graced us with your presence," Aro stood excitedly, giving me a once over. Alice squeezed my arm before turning away, leaving me alone in the room. I was tempted to call her back, not wanting to be alone, but instead I kept quiet. It was probably for the best anyways.

"You look quite beautiful, cara," Marcus' soft voice had me turning to face my mates, noticing their looks of approval on their faces. I felt the blush caress my cheeks as the other two stood as well, slowly approaching me.

"Th-thank you," I whispered, nervousness setting in.

"Do not thank us for something you deserve, little bird," Caius was the one to speak this time, my body freezing at the name he called me. The memory of the vampire that attacked me those years ago came to the forefront of my mind. He had called me that same thing.

"Alessandra?"

"Don't," I swallowed thickly, moving my eyes to the ground. "Don't call me little bird, please."

"Why not?" Caius seemed confused but agitated by my demand. I sighed, knowing he would continue to call me that name if I did not tell him the truth.

"The first night I lived with my family, a vampire came by to speak with them. He decided to try and attack me because of my scent," I heard the sharp intake of breath before feeling arms surround my body. "He called me little bird."

"And what did the Cullens do to this rogue creature?" Aro hissed out, a dark aura surrounding him.

"They destroyed him. That was when they discovered my odd... ability."